Staring again ... help needed !

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
well pond still not good algea back in force ... i think the shelves and the sun are the main problem .. i made a kinda of small type of skippy ..well rather i converted a hozelock filter .. but its just not working, not big enough i dont think ...also added a little preformed stream the shallow end of the pond with a bit of a bucket type thing at the top now powered by a smaller pump and a bioforce filter
the algea is not blacket weed or at least i dont think so its kind of fuzzy and clings so tight onto the sides i cant even scrub it off ... there is also longer stuff which i think is blanket weed ...main problem is the shelves muck builds up on them i keep netting it out but pumps at the bottom cant draw it down from there ... i thought things were improving for a while but now it all seems to be getting worse ... i know part of the answer is a bigger filter a proper skippy ( nowhere to hide a drum )
pond is around 11ft by 6 ft about 680 gallons . i know ive asked about skippys before but i really dont know if i can build one myself .. and how small can i get away with .... sorry to keep asking same old questions but i havent a clue what to do

BBK

Reaction score
I had the same algae on mine. Hard work getting it off, only think I have found to work was a potato scrubber thing.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Stroppy if you can make one out of a 70 gal stock tank you would have the cleanest water on your side of the pond :icon_mrgreen:

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
that should serve you pretty well! and its seems like it may be your only reasonable option, huh? 50 gallons is a good capacity

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
you gotta know someone who can help build it... it is easy, get your plumbing parts together while you wait for delivery.

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
i have made a list of parts i need ... and my ex is going to get them for me next week ... my son home al lday now till september as collage has finished for summer hols .. so not able to get out much myself
but hopefully will start building soon ....
i have started putting barley extract in the pond i realize this wont get rid of it but was hoping it wouldnt get any worse ... but its still covered over everything ... and ph is going up a bit water its self is clear ...any other ideas on what i can do untill filter is up and running ?
oh and i do hope so drcase :icon_smile:

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
they are doing ok ... i found them out of there pots the first morning ... i didnt put enough gravel over them but they are staying put now :icon_smile:
my goldfish are always poking around in the pots !!!

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
stroppy said:
they are doing ok ... i found them out of there pots the first morning ... i didnt put enough gravel over them but they are staying put now :icon_smile:
my goldfish are always poking around in the pots !!!

put a few larger stones !' to1&1/2" on the pea gravel

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
i too wish that would mean more hands for me drcase ... but sadly its not to be ... but im sure he would help if he were able ... he loves to be taken out to watch them :icon_smile:
yep ive put big stones on top now thanks koiguy

Ask a Question