Staring again ... help needed !

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
took some pics so you can see how bad pond is getting pulled out 3 bucket fulls of blanket weed this morning as you can see plants are all turning brown !!

Attachments

• pond prob 001.JPG
    pond prob 001.JPG
    114.9 KB · Views: 267
  • pond prob 002.JPG
    pond prob 002.JPG
    125.7 KB · Views: 284
  • pond prob 003.JPG
    pond prob 003.JPG
    99.7 KB · Views: 257
  • pond prob 006.JPG
    pond prob 006.JPG
    98.5 KB · Views: 269

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
yes i have done some water changes ... circulation was getting better as i put the little stream in the shallow end and put another pump to power it .. but pump isnt that good and i only have a bioforce filter that end ...useing the titan pump for the filter box at the other end ... going to change the bioforce to a skippy 50 gallon .. but waiting for it too arrive i also have 2 air stones to help ...weather has been stormy for a couple of days pond just seems to have gone mad ... i also added some microbe clean and clear 2 weeks ago and pond was looking much better tested ph again and its now 8.5 is this too high ?

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
you can buy ph. down for ponds.. ive never used it but i know its there. once you get it in a comfortable level put some ctushed oyster shells in an old nylon stocking and drop it in your filter near the return or where the water enters. its a buffer and will help lock your ph where its at. $4.00 worth lasts a couple years anyways. i bought some last year and still working fine. i just did a baking soda treatment... mine was low..whats your ph from the tap?

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
ok someones going to get me some tomorrow ... the tap reads 7.6.. and i have ordered oyster shells on line blanket weed not as bad today ...but then not so sunny !!
how often should i put barley extract in i gave it first big dose last week then another smaller dose on friday .. should i try putting more in yet ? or wait a while .. also think its making my water browner ... but then the stuff in the bottle is slightly brown ... fish still seem ok but are hanging around the air stones a bit more

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Rocks with a high alkalyne content in your pond will make it high. You might want to review what is in there and make some adjustments until you get it under control.

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
how do i tell what type of rocks i have ? i only have one that has water running over it from my filter ... i have some slate is that safe to use in ponds ?i could try fixing that so the water could run from it back into pond

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
The only way I know to test them is to take a small piece and put it into a neutral PH (7.0) and wait 24 hours then test again.
Distilled water would be nuetral.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Stroppy Was the 8.5 reading just a one day test ? Or is it staying high ?
Glad to here that your son enjoys the pond and the outdoors..

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
yes it has gone back down to 8.0 this morning ... i think a lot of its todo with our weather over here one day sun next colder and rain ... bit like a yoyo across the pond ...was going to order a small pump to aid with flow in shallow end ... but ive run out of places to plug it in out there ... i only have 4 sockets so now thinking i may need to get an electrican in to add more ... this pond is never ending !!

going to remove that rock anyway for now and just have the water go directly back into pond will need to have a rethink about it
and thanks all for being so helpfull :icon_smile:

Reaction score
You can test rocks by pouring vinegar on them (acid) if it bubles or reacts this is not a rock you want in the pond as it will increase your hardness and ph.

PH in a pond fluctuates by time of day with morning being the lowest and night being the highest, due to plants giving consuming O2 at night and using up CO2 during the day.

It's normal for a pond to swing the PH. Mine has gone from 8.0 at night to 7.2 in the morning.

I wouldn't add any chemicals to a pond to lower PH (lowering is the hardest, raising ph is easy). You will end up having a ph crash or bouncing PH. It takes a lot to buffer water to a stable PH with any buffer there at all you won't be able to lower it and will spend $$$ adding chemicals to lower it. It's not worth it.

The best water for fish is stable water even if the ph is higher than you would like, the fish prefer water chemistry that doesn't move alot.

Ask a Question