addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The year I built mine, most of the plants I put in the bog in the fall. They all came back. I had them in the bog by october, we are zone 6b-7 You could build it then plant in the spring as the other alternative.

Reaction score
Cool! I'm anxious to start it really, I just don't want them to die :/
Also, how long does it take the bog to cycle, for it to be the soul filter of your pond?
And addy I have some Irises and lily's in my yard, but idk what kind they are, you think I should take a chance and try them in the bog?

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Even if you don't plant the plants I would get it in now so that you don't have to fight with the weather in the spring. I put mine in late may of this year and the plants have done outstanding.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Cool! I'm anxious to start it really, I just don't want them to die :/
Also, how long does it take the bog to cycle, for it to be the soul filter of your pond?
And addy I have some Irises and lily's in my yard, but idk what kind they are, you think I should take a chance and try them in the bog?

My bog has been the sole filter for the pond since the beginning. Even in the spring after not running for 3-4 months it filtered right away. I had no green water or algae issues. So either the bacteria lived over winter or it repopulates quickly.

I just stuck them in, they did fine, some will some won't The lilies have taken over, I need to purge some, plant them back into the yard. The iris I do the same, stick them in and see how they do. The lilies are orange day lilies, I also put some rebloomers in the yellow ones, they too are doing fine.

I will be moving the lilies next spring when they start to regrow. Rather than mess with them now. They have not died back yet. It will take a knife and sharp shovel to separate them. (with out cutting the liner! hopefully lol) The roots are not deep, but they sure are intertwined.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I'm at a point now where I can start a bog, but I'm wondering if should wait till spring? If I do start one now, will the plants have enough time to establish before winter? Any thoughts?
Good question, Fishy! I've been wanting to add some plants [bog & non-bog] and debated whether to do it now or wait until spring. I know that fall is a good time to plant/transplant for some garden plants [when they go dormant], but clueless about aquatics.

Common sense tells me to wait until spring to purchase anything new [that gives me the winter down-time to think about what I want and how to work them in], but my newbie status says, "I just can't wait!" I may buy one plant and see how it does. Maybe something that normally emerges early like marsh marigold.

Reaction score
Thank you addy that's very helpful! :)

Good question, Fishy! I've been wanting to add some plants [bog & non-bog] and debated whether to do it now or wait until spring. I know that fall is a good time to plant/transplant for some garden plants [when they go dormant], but clueless on aquatics.
Exactly tm, I guess I'll just dive in also. Start shoving plants in LOL. And I also need spring color. Until I put the bigger pond in the middle of the yard, all we had was shade mostly, (at least In the way of landscaping) lots of trees everywhere. So everything in the bog will be full sun. I too am not very patient lol Already have the hole dug just need to get pea gravel and I'm set! :D can't wait LOL

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Quite often plants put in the fall do fine, they spend the winter growing roots getting established and take off in the spring. I put a lot of bog plants in the bog around sept/october the first year of the build. By spring they went crazy, same with lilies, stuck them in the pond in november (someone sent me some from her pond) the took off when spring hit.

Fall is one of my favorite time to move plants, get them established before summer heat hits.

Ask a Question