Start From Scratch.....

Reaction score
Hiya folks,

First of all please forgive my ignorance. I have been interested in pond ever since i saw my parents neighbors had one put a couple of years ago. Wanted to have one myself but there was no yard available and over time I kinda forgot about it. I finally got a house with a yard and the pond thing popped back in my head again. Started doing some research online about building one from bottom up but unfortunately most of the sites I found have either don't have really good information or they want to sell me something and just leaves me with even more question and confused :). Maybe I need a 10 year old to help me with online search. Finally, I found this forum that is actually active so I figure I'll plead to all the gurus here with help in how to go about doing it right.

My first question is that, are there any good websites/books etc that can actually go through the whole construction in way that doesn't expect me to know practically anything about ponds or gardening? I just want to thoroughly know the subject matter before i jump in blind.

I'll start taking some pics and post them next time to show what i have to work with. Hopefully I can get it done this summer.

I appreciate all the help.

Frog

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Send the pics and you will get all the answers...Welcome to the forum Frog

Reaction score
Pics of my barren yard are coming soon, as soon as i can get my camera back from my sister....:grumble:

Reaction score
View attachment 576

View attachment 577

View attachment 578

Here are the Pics of my backyard. Yeah I know not much to look at. In the third pic you can see the garden hose on the ground in the shape and location I am thinking of putting the pond. It's about 16' x 12'. The previous owners had an above ground pool at this location. I want to incorporate the big rock in the waterfall somehow, if I can manage it. It's just too heavy and big for me to move.

Attachments

• Backyard_1a.JPG
    Backyard_1a.JPG
    28.8 KB · Views: 295
  • Backyard_2a.JPG
    Backyard_2a.JPG
    27 KB · Views: 268
  • Backyard_3a.jpg
    Backyard_3a.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 302
Reaction score
The first question is related to the location. From what I have read so far online and other places It seems putting in a pond where you get sun all day is not a good idea. But in my back yard there is no shade. So is this a good place for the pond if I can provide some type of cover?

Second is that I am in southern California desert area close to LA and summer temps easily get to 110. So based on that how deep I should go?
The city ordinance is 18" without any special license or fee but deeper then that the pond is in the same category as a regular swimming pool. Leave it to the sue crazy idiots :banghead3:. Anyway, I am planning to go put in three levels. Ist level at 12", second at 24" and third at 30". Is that deep enough?

I am worried that the 12" shallow area may get too warm during summer months.

Any help and sugesstion are appreciated and welcomed.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
If I were you, I would not worry about the permit. You will not be happy with what they make you do or the fees they will charge.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
full sun with that kind of heat, do what you gotta do... 18" is gonna be tough to keep the temps down. D.D is right make it the way you like and at least 2' deep, 3' would be better.

Reaction score
Mine is in full sun for about 13 hrs a day in the summer. You have a ton of room to work with!!!!! Wish I did. I would say have the locates on utillities done and start digging. If you have houses behind you, this is a must. Don't want to make the neighbors mad at you early:grumble: Mine is about 3ft deep and it gets warm at the top, but nice and cool in the bottom. Plan well. get good filters, and enjoy your new pond.

PS- If you have somebody help you dig, don't do like me. I had my wife help. She dug about two inches and then decided to play with the dog the rest of the time. Also, take pictures during the process to, Its a nice momento!!!!

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Put the pond were you want it ,and plant a small tree for shade. it will grow

Reaction score
Which part of SoCal are you? I recently learn at 1st that 18" deep was only allowed in the city of Burbank, CA. I actually visited the city to see what kind of permits and requirements are need for my pond. I found out that the depth was changed to 24", that made me happy. Since I was cementing the sides I thought I needed a permit for street use for the concrete mixer truck, and no permit is required if the truck is there less than 2 hours. This made things easier and will be done before summer. YAH!!!!

Ask a Question