start of new pond and an un related question.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a/7b depending on the map
Country
United States
Here's a couple pics of the start of the new pond build. It's odd shaped, 16x18x4.5 deep. On the side of a hill, so a lot of dirt on the high side will be moved to the low side. (needa move it anyway, as that's where the bog will be) Bog will be about 8x12x1deep. I'll plant the bog with plants thinned from exisitng bog on pond out at the barn.
Now, on to the question; What to do with Iris seed pods? Will they sprout? Just wait 'till they mature and open up, or cut them off now? (about 3 weeks old)
new pond.jpg
new pond copy.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I've always heard that for plants with bulbs/corms, you cut off the seed pods. This allows the plant to put the energy into producing down at the root, rather than into seed production. When you want to have more plants from that one, you propagate by digging up the bulbs and dividing them. (Your dirt looks like mine. Not fun to dig that stuff!)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Thanx for the reply. So I guess I'll just remove the seed pods. Here's a couple pics almost ready for liner. It's an odd shape, but that's how nature does it. ;)
IMG_20200705_184426787 (Copy).jpg
IMG_20200705_184520660 (Copy).jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Progress being made Pond is getting filled, and bog is ready for liner. I used the trimmings from the pond as under layment for the bog.
new pond 3 (Copy).jpg

I have a portable sump pump to circulate the water until it gets full.
new pond 4 (Copy).jpg

The water fall is PT plywood, and will be hidden by stone.
new pond 5 (Copy).jpg

Yes that's a pool skimmer. I figure that it will work just fine. Along with the pool pump, and sand filter. which I got way cheaper than just the laguna submerged pump in the other pond.

It's slow to fill, as I have a limited flow rate on my water supply, anything over about 3gpm and it will run dry.

Ask a Question