Start to finish

Reaction score
OK....................Good now I know what he is. I basically though the less expensive koi where just hybrid or just mixed species. I probably will get more into the different types down the road. Its been one big learning experience from day one. Its been the same way with all the aquariums I have as well. I just started getting into salt water reef tanks and can't get enough.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
35 years ago, I was one of the first in SD county to have salt water fish aquariums. There was only one store in the entire county that had salt water fish at the time.

I love them and they are nice to have but they can be very expensive, especially when you have catastrophic losses. In 1979 I lost every fish and the prognosis was so varied, no single treatment would have saved them.

Good luck with that.

Reaction score
yeah your right about that.............Just went to an annual summer sale at the LFS where everything was a third off and I still spent $300. I just can't help myself.

ElijahTurtle

Pond n00b
Reaction score
Wow! That looks great! very nice craftsmanship on the woodwork.
It's kind of funny to hear someonetalking about getting into SW aquariums on a pond forum. I gave up the idea of having a SW tank for the idea of having a pond. I'm into freshwater planted aquariums, so I figure it's a more natural progression to move to a pond than to SW.

Reaction score
ElijahTurtle said:
Wow! That looks great! very nice craftsmanship on the woodwork.
It's kind of funny to hear someonetalking about getting into SW aquariums on a pond forum. I gave up the idea of having a SW tank for the idea of having a pond. I'm into freshwater planted aquariums, so I figure it's a more natural progression to move to a pond than to SW.

For me I started out with fresh water and tried to master that including a koi pond. I now have 11 aquariums (2 salt) and the koi pond. Pretty much my wife and I are just fish crazy. I will probably cut back on the fresh water tanks and go with just a koi pond and a large salty aquarium.

Reaction score
I think it all ties into the love of creating small functional biotopes. Here is our saltwater reef tank. 30 gallons and lots of corals. Only two little clownfish. We had freshwater before but never attempted the planted aquarium. I would probably be more apt to do a freshwater planted aquarium now that I have had a pond with plants.

DSCF1066.jpg

Reaction score
thejetskiqueen said:
I think it all ties into the love of creating small functional biotopes. Here is our saltwater reef tank. 30 gallons and lots of corals. Only two little clownfish. We had freshwater before but never attempted the planted aquarium. I would probably be more apt to do a freshwater planted aquarium now that I have had a pond with plants.

DSCF1066.jpg

Good looking tank you got there. I aggree with you on the planted tank. My pond has done so good with plants this year. I was amazed at how much the plants help out with water quality and in return the plants did very well too. Here's a vid of our 28g nano reef. I hope it works.

Reaction score
Nice video. I would like to see some full tank shots. We have two nanos. The picture is of the 30 gallon oceanic and the other is a biocube 29 with a metal halide retrofit along with the power compacts. We are trying to sell it and get a canoe for my husband and son. I already have a kayak and needed someone to paddle with. All the livestock went into the oceanic and we sold the hawkfish out of the biocube to a fellow reefer.

Reaction score
Lumber:
10-2x4x8 wall framinig
4-2x4x14 wall framing
5-sheets of 5/8 sheer panel for the inside
4-sheets of 3/4 plywood for the outside
6-3x6x14 outside for long wall
6-3x6x12 outside for short walls
1-2x10x14 wall cap
1-2x10x12 wall cap
4-1x6x12 shiplap for waterfall wall
Hardware:
Redheads for bolting down walls
2 36"x3/4" all thread for corner interlocking
5" lag bolts and washers for bolting 3x6 beams to framing
1 gallon of superdeck stain

Also used a weather membrain for exterior- black paper
15'x20' 45 mil pond liner
Laguna 3200 pond filter
Laguna 2000 pond pump
Misc 1 1/2" flexable hose for connections
schedule 80 PVC pipe and fittings.
14" waterfall tank.

Thats roughly it.............

Rick

Reaction score
I forgot to mention if your pond is out in the weather and your bolting it to concrete, you should use pressure treated 2x4s for your bottom plate. Also used an L flash and rainbuster silcon around the outside. I sanded the interior sheer panel to get rid of any splinters. I chaulked and duct taped all seems in sheer panel on the inside including the corners before I installed the liner.

Rick

View attachment 237

Attachments

• 2008_0302koipond2ndphase0005.JPG
    2008_0302koipond2ndphase0005.JPG
    39 KB · Views: 333

sequoiafish

The wierder the better
Reaction score
Thanks rick Iam plaanning on building a similar pond that will be movable by having wheels hidden under it, once enough money and time is put together.That way the pond is permanent to the property.:)

Ask a Question