Nick83

Jack of all trades, Master of none.
Reaction score
Weeki Wachee Florida, Home of the mermaids
Hardiness Zone
9a/b
Country
United States
As I don't have enough projects going on, I took on another!:wacky: This weeks project includes setting up a 10 gallon aquarium. Since I built a new pond outside that means I will be stocking it with new plants and fish and I now realize that I will need a quarantine tank to make sure I'm not introducing sick or diseased fish into the pond.
Right now I have added a couple ramshorn snails with a few cutoffs of anacaris(spell?) hornwort. I then added some API quick start to speed up the cycle process. It is nothing spectacular or a "show" tank but it is now acting as another piece of living room decor so to speak. I still have a lot of cleaning up to do with the tubes and wires for the aeration and thermometer.
My end goal is to have a nice "hospital" tank ready to go when I acquire new fish or if somebody is sick.
Since the fish that I currently have are less than 4" in length I wasn't going to set up an 80gal tank without any fish in it...yet!
I'm going to add 2 or 3 more goldfish to my pond and the new fish will be put in this tank before they are introduced to general population.
IMAG2020.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
That's great.
Make sure you keep feeding it some ammonia to keep the bacteria population happy.;)
The plants will like the nitrate in the end as well.

ZEROPILOT

Faster than you are.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a-10b
Country
United States
This is my 100 gallon "quarantine and too plain for the pond" tank

Attachments

• 1509838939009.jpg
    1509838939009.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 229
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Maybe get a few small fish to keep the tank going? And have a smaller tank on standby to rehome if needed?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
I wish I could have ramshorn snails, I purchased three of them from store. In the end they all were floating on water surface, appears as if they were melting.

I have cleaned the old aquarium and now I have two gold fish, one pleco and lots of plant.

Nick83

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a/b
Country
United States
I wish I could have ramshorn snails, I purchased three of them from store. In the end they all were floating on water surface, appears as if they were melting.

I have cleaned the old aquarium and now I have two gold fish, one pleco and lots of plant.

I bought some plants a few years ago from the nursery and subsequently had those snails in the mix and they have really done well in my ponds. I'm hoping the snails I placed in the tank will do as good.

Nick83

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a/b
Country
United States
@ZEROPILOT someday I would like to set up something of that size tank. For now I'm going to Keep It Simply Small while my fish are still small.

@Rajesh I took a picture of one of the snails. Once the population grows, I'll have to remove some and place them in either my pond or give them away. Like I have said before these snails are from many generations ago in my pond. They are pretty resilient.
IMAG2033.jpg

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Once you add fish i.e. guppies to it, you basically just have another tank and not a quarantine tank.

Usually just keep extra filter material in my sump for display tanks or in ponds then do a water change when getting new fish and add that water/filter material to create a qt tank.

Nick83

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a/b
Country
United States
Once you add fish i.e. guppies to it, you basically just have another tank and not a quarantine tank.

I suppose for now it will be a holding tank for new fish until they are placed into the pond. So you are correct, technically it is not a quarantine tank for the time being.

Nick83

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a/b
Country
United States
Things certainly took a turn as to what the aquarium was set up for. Welcome the telescope kids Pearly and Danny Dfeesho! Pearly is the one with uneven eyes. I was overruled in this decision. So now I must start another aquarium bigger and better for those two will not be going to the pond.
IMAG2085_1.jpg
IMAG2041.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I have a 10g i started since i had it left over from breeding rats for my snakes, I using it mainly to keep my corkscrew over winter with some creeping jenny of shoots and start growing anacrise (sp?) added 4 small fish from pond and got 4 trap door snails. well now i have 4 adult traps and 5 babies ( 4 1 month old 1 just recent) 2 " mystery snails" i guess came along with the anacrise .

In the words of Bob Ross " happy little accident" As the fish dont eat flakes or the pellets i i drop in even after a month. I do feed a bit every other day to keep the cycle going and once a week drop an algae
20171109_133155.jpg
pellet in.

Ask a Question