Started a aquarium

Discussion in 'Indoor tanks' started by Nick83, Nov 4, 2017.

1. Nick83

Nick83 Jack of all trades, Master of none.

Weeki Wachee Florida, Home of the mermaids
    As I don't have enough projects going on, I took on another!:wacky: This weeks project includes setting up a 10 gallon aquarium. Since I built a new pond outside that means I will be stocking it with new plants and fish and I now realize that I will need a quarantine tank to make sure I'm not introducing sick or diseased fish into the pond.
    Right now I have added a couple ramshorn snails with a few cutoffs of anacaris(spell?) hornwort. I then added some API quick start to speed up the cycle process. It is nothing spectacular or a "show" tank but it is now acting as another piece of living room decor so to speak. I still have a lot of cleaning up to do with the tubes and wires for the aeration and thermometer.
    My end goal is to have a nice "hospital" tank ready to go when I acquire new fish or if somebody is sick.
    Since the fish that I currently have are less than 4" in length I wasn't going to set up an 80gal tank without any fish in it...yet!
    I'm going to add 2 or 3 more goldfish to my pond and the new fish will be put in this tank before they are introduced to general population.
    IMAG2020.jpg

Nick83, Nov 4, 2017
    CometKeith and Rajesh like this.
    1. Advertisements

2. Nick83

MitchM

That's great.
    Make sure you keep feeding it some ammonia to keep the bacteria population happy.;)
    The plants will like the nitrate in the end as well.

MitchM, Nov 4, 2017
    1. Advertisements

3. Nick83

Thank you. Yes I will make sure to do that while there isn't any ammonia from fish.

Nick83, Nov 4, 2017
    MitchM likes this.
  4. Nick83

ZEROPILOT Faster than you are.

This is my 100 gallon "quarantine and too plain for the pond" tank

Attached Files:

ZEROPILOT, Nov 4, 2017
    Nick83 likes this.
  5. Nick83

Angel

Maybe get a few small fish to keep the tank going? And have a smaller tank on standby to rehome if needed?

Angel, Nov 5, 2017
    Nick83 likes this.
  6. Nick83

Rajesh

I wish I could have ramshorn snails, I purchased three of them from store. In the end they all were floating on water surface, appears as if they were melting.

I have cleaned the old aquarium and now I have two gold fish, one pleco and lots of plant.

Rajesh, Nov 5, 2017
  7. Nick83

I was thinking about maybe adding some guppies or similar small fish. Guppies tend to quickly multiply.

Nick83, Nov 5, 2017
  8. Nick83

I bought some plants a few years ago from the nursery and subsequently had those snails in the mix and they have really done well in my ponds. I'm hoping the snails I placed in the tank will do as good.

Nick83, Nov 5, 2017
  9. Nick83

@ZEROPILOT someday I would like to set up something of that size tank. For now I'm going to Keep It Simply Small while my fish are still small.

@Rajesh I took a picture of one of the snails. Once the population grows, I'll have to remove some and place them in either my pond or give them away. Like I have said before these snails are from many generations ago in my pond. They are pretty resilient.
    IMAG2033.jpg

Nick83, Nov 5, 2017
    Rajesh likes this.
  10. Nick83

Rajesh

how did you click the picture, they are beautiful!
    333333333.jpg
    my pleco sucking a slice of boiled cucumber.

Rajesh, Nov 6, 2017
    ZEROPILOT and Nick83 like this.
  11. Nick83

Haha very nice pleco. I rarely get to see mine. Nice quartz stone in it's tank. I've got a few polished clear quartz in mine with a few others that I have tumble polished.

Nick83, Nov 6, 2017
  12. Nick83

Jhn

Once you add fish i.e. guppies to it, you basically just have another tank and not a quarantine tank.

Usually just keep extra filter material in my sump for display tanks or in ponds then do a water change when getting new fish and add that water/filter material to create a qt tank.

Jhn, Nov 6, 2017
  13. Nick83

I suppose for now it will be a holding tank for new fish until they are placed into the pond. So you are correct, technically it is not a quarantine tank for the time being.

Nick83, Nov 6, 2017
  14. Nick83

Things certainly took a turn as to what the aquarium was set up for. Welcome the telescope kids Pearly and Danny Dfeesho! Pearly is the one with uneven eyes. I was overruled in this decision. So now I must start another aquarium bigger and better for those two will not be going to the pond.
    IMAG2085_1.jpg IMAG2041.jpg

Nick83, Nov 9, 2017
    Rajesh likes this.
  15. Nick83

Angel

I have a 10g i started since i had it left over from breeding rats for my snakes, I using it mainly to keep my corkscrew over winter with some creeping jenny of shoots and start growing anacrise (sp?) added 4 small fish from pond and got 4 trap door snails. well now i have 4 adult traps and 5 babies ( 4 1 month old 1 just recent) 2 " mystery snails" i guess came along with the anacrise .

In the words of Bob Ross " happy little accident" As the fish dont eat flakes or the pellets i i drop in even after a month. I do feed a bit every other day to keep the cycle going and once a week drop an algae 20171109_133155.jpg pellet in.

Angel, Nov 9, 2017
    Nick83 likes this.
  16. Nick83

IMAG2175_1.jpg Just a little update on the aquarium. Everything is thriving and looking wonderful.

Nick83, Dec 5, 2017
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question