Started my pond!!!

Reaction score
Hey just letting you guys know I got started on my pond this weekend. :yellowbounce: Just wanted to say thanks for the help so far. I'm sure I'll be bugging you guys again. As some of you know...I started off thinking of doing a preformed raised pond. That was dumb... I have come so far since those days

So here is what what I've got so far. My pond is looking to be about 10x7 + the waterfall. Max depth will be 3 ft. I plan on putting a step down around the whole thing at about 1 ft. I of course will use the 45 mil liner. Haven't decided whether I'll use an underliner. I do however plan on using sand. So my pond is looking at being about 1300 gallons.

So far I had to move a palm tree from the spot that my pond is gonna be ( this was quite the battle...I WON..)to a few feet outside the future pond. I'm gonna use it to provide shade. I also had to reroute some sprinklers.
I will be ordering my pump and UV light tonight. Going with the:
Laguna Max Flow 2000gph
Gama pond UV 15W
My local pond store has the liner at 59 cents a sq foot (that is good right) ?? I'll pick that up there.
I will be building a version of the skippy filter.

I will also keep this thread updated so others can learn from my Good Decisions and bad ones

Here are a couple of pics before and kinda after. I have since relocated the palm and sprinklers. Notice a couple of my digging helpers in the background and a jackhammer too....The hose isn't exactly but close. My plan is to make the dry river bed and the waterfall kinda converge into the pond....

As always I humbly await your input, ideas, criticism..

Thanks BA ...:

IMG_1521Small.jpg

IMG_1517Small.jpg

Picture004Small.jpg

Reaction score
looks like you know what your doing. but..... 3 ft deep??? go all out mate :yellowbounce: Im making mine atm, its around 1meter deep, and im still not convinced its enough. I will be looking into this thread. goodluck!

Reaction score
Yeah that was actually the first place I was gonna put it...but then 2 things made me change it. First, I will be able to sit at the patio and enjoy the pond, it's gonna come right up to the patio. Second, I have a plan to make that river bed and my waterfall kinda merge into the pond. Kinda like two rivers merged at one time but only one is flowing now. I know kinda cheesy but I think it'll look cool....we'll see.

Anyways did some digging. Only about 6in but I also moved out all the river rock from the bed. My biggest issue is what to do with my dirt. I'm gonna put it under the river bed...then put the rocks back on it. I got some guys coming over tomorrow to help me dig...I'm hoping to have digging pretty much done tomorrow...

Reaction score
Did quit a bit of digging today.. :beerchug: I pretty much have the pond dug. I still need to some digging/cleaning up the shelves and even things up. The major issue is that my property has a slope towards the patio so I need to even things up or the water line will be WAY off. I plan on putting some large rocks/boulders on the first shelf so that if the waterline is slightly uneven it won't look weird. The other issue is that the surface on the patio side got a little thin. I should have dug out out further but I'll put some dirt back to thicken it up. I'll keep yall posted...

IMG_1578Small.jpg

IMG_1581Small.jpg

Reaction score
Yeah those palms are gonna be perfect. I get shade from the house/patio till around 11am then the palm shade will start to kick in around 1-2 onward. I think that is key since I live in such a hot climate.

Anyways...didn't do much digging today...kinda smoked. But I did move most of my rocks back in the riverbed and dug a hole for my filter and start of my waterfall. I also built my filter minus my media today. Here are some pics.of the filter and where it'll be. ...For media on the first layer will be Pond Matrix from Seachem. I use a smaller version in canister filters in my aquariums. The second level will be all scrubbies. I will silicone the shower drain in the filter. Not sure if I will use the spout out or in...we'll see.

IMG_1588.jpg

IMG_1586.jpg

IMG_1590.jpg

I'll keep you guys updated...Thanks for your input too...

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
It real looks good,you are thinking right.If you work it out right you can make a hard ledge 2" deeper than your water level for the rocks to sit on,and let the liner come up higher behind the rocks to keep a nice soften edge,with no liner showing

Reaction score
Yeah that is kinda my plan except that the first ledge is closer to 6in. I'm gonna spend the day leveling. Maybe go and get my silt today. Also gonna build the base for the waterfall. I could probably have it done by this weekend but I don't have my pump yet. In fact I'm not even sure it's shipped yet. I ordered it over a week ago. ...

Ask a Question