Started my pond

Reaction score
Well, I broke ground on my little 5W x 10L x 2D pond yesterday. The wife was away at a class so I decided to use my free time after work productively. Somehow I managed to dig the whole thing in 3 hours. When I'm not trying to grow grass or prevent my backyard from eroding out into the road behind me I truly love my sandy soil.

I’ve decided to document my progress here on this thread because in looking around on this forum I found the posts where the whole experience was described from start to finish to be the most helpful. I’ll likely make a lot of stupid mistakes so it’s probably a safe assumption to file everything in here under what not to do when building a pond. I’m not an expert on plumbing or anything that I need to do here really but I can wield a wicked shovel when I have to.

As it comes along, I’ll try to post some pictures.

Reaction score
Well, I’ve pretty much finished my water feature. I wanted to update this thread as I progressed but my home computer contracted some type of cyber venereal disease during the ponds construction and I had to reinstall the OS. It’s also fair season around here and since my wife and kid love going to them, I’ve been spending most of my weekends eating fried foods and drinking tiny little cups of overpriced beer. Outdoor festivals + special needs computer + pond building = little time for typing words on a forum.

All those things aside, I now have a dandy new hole that’s filled with water in my backyard and I’d like to share a few things that I learned while making it. As I said in my initial post, I knew nothing about what I was doing when I got myself into this and I would probably make lots of mistakes. I did. Now I’m going to share them with you in the hope that other’s do not follow in my footsteps.

1. DO NOT SKIMP ON YOUR LINER – I thought I was being so brilliant by ordering my liner from ebay. I got it for something like $50 and assumed that it was priced so low because the dealer was overstocked with them (he had about 20 others listed). Turns out it was inexpensive because it was 21 mil and not because God was smiling on my checking account’s balance. Since I couldn’t return the liner, I used it anyway. I’m all sorts of happy with the knowledge that a feather could puncture it and that the best case that I can hope for is that it’ll last me for maybe 2 or 3 years if I’m lucky.

2. KNOW YOUR TREES – Since I have trees all over my backyard I chose to put it under the two that I know shed the least amount of leaves. This is because I am a genius and wise beyond my years! I’m perceptive and keen and I notice stuff like that! What I didn’t notice, and didn’t find out until after I had dug the hole and partially filled the liner with water is that one of these stupid trees drops some sort of tiny little fruit at the beginning of every spring. I guess I never took note of this miracle of nature because they are so small that they become lost in the grass once they’ve fallen. With a half filled pond, they stand out quite strikingly and tend to crush men’s spirits.

3. WATERFALL FOAM WILL NEVER COME OFF YOUR HANDS – I can’t stress this enough! If you get even a drop of it on your fingers, wash them immediately! Otherwise you will be explaining to everyone all week long at work why your fingers and nails are icky and black.

Fortunately, I did manage to do some things right while endeavoring to create this incredible wonder of human achievement. Most of these had to do with saving money as I’m better at being a tightwad than I am at planning a pond, but some of them were just good decisions plain and simple! I’m shocked and amazed that I was able to pull any of this off so please allow me to pat myself on the back for just a second.

1. RIP RAP STONE WORKS GREAT – Everyone has a preconceived idea in their heads regarding how they want to do the stone design of their waterfall. My desire was to simply be able to build it for under $200. I’m very pleased that 2 tons of rip-rap along with a few pieces of slate (total cost $120) worked better than I ever expected. I’d assumed that buying the cheapest rock imaginable would result in a tacky Walmart looking pond but to my surprise it ended up looking most totally righteous.

2. GRAVEL IS A WATERFALLS BEST FRIEND – Okay, I fussed with foam and even tried mortar in an attempt get the water to flow over my rocks just the way that I wanted it to. With everything I did, nature cruelly laughed in my face. Not awesome. Then I said “Eh, I’m just going to start dumping gravel in there and see what happens.” To my surprise, two bagfuls created the effect I was looking for. Huzzah for gravel! I love it more than ice cream.

3. YOU CAN’T BUY TOO POWERFUL OF A PUMP – Okay, I suppose you could buy one that might possibly blow up your entire pond if you go all out but I say always buy more than what you think you’ll need. I figured that for what I was trying to do a 2,000 GPH would be sufficient. Fortunately I found a 4,000 GPH Cal-pump that someone was practically giving away so I bought that instead. I assumed that if it had too much flow, I could always put a valve on to decrease it. Much to my surprise, I apparently needed that extra 2,000 GPH power because the thing works perfectly just the way it is. If I would have gone with the 2,000 GPH pump that all my fancy mathematics had told me to buy, I’m sure that I would have been disappointed.

I hope this helps other’s who are looking to build a similar feature. I know that the people on this forum were of great assistance to me when I realized that I was too stupid to evaluate every pond related problem myself. All that’s really left to do now is to plant the landscaping around it, stick some fish in there and extend a portion of my deck out near the water’s edge so I can sit out there and chill all the time forever.

I'll post pictures tonight, after diner. Thanks guys!

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
:eek2: :icon_mrgreen: Send the pics ... AND thats a good post

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Love your post/blog. LOL...
As long as the gravel is not on the pond floor use as much as you need to direct water where it is flowing freely. Still water and gravel or rocks are a prescription for septic conditions.
I can't wait to see the photos. Maybe the new liner will adorn a larger pond. What I did was couple a 2nd pond to the original with a stream.

Reaction score
Uh-oh… it looks like I have a little more work to do. I seem to have some leakage around the corners of my waterfall. I knew about this over the weekend but didn’t think it was bad enough to really have to worry about. Seems I’ve lost about an inch and a half of water-level from my pond since Saturday. I guess I’ll have to put back on my pond-hat and figure out what to do.

Anyway, here’s a shot of the corner of my yard pre-pond.

IMG_2961-vi.jpg

And once again, here is the corner with a hole that I dug and covered over with my lousy pond-liner. That’s my kid standing in front of it. She pretty much aped every move I made while building this thing. As a matter of a fact, the one day that she wasn’t out there with me was the day that I happened to get the least amount of work done.

IMG_2986-vi.jpg

And here is the pond after I filled it with water and threw the kid inside.

IMG_3397-vi.jpg

HA! Just joking. I think she was off camera screaming at me for having drug her to the hardware store one to many times on this day. She was mad like some sort of cross between a bear with rabies and a snake.

Here’s a close up of the falls.

IMG_3401-vi.jpg

Okay, that’s all for now. I’ll take some more after I get it landscaped and all fished up! This weekend however, I will be trying to figure out where I’m losing all of my water… and crying.

P.S. Thanks for the encouragement guys and no DrDave, I didn’t put my gravel anywhere near any still waters. I actually read a thread where you warned against doing that somewhere else on this forum and decided to take your advice when I was spreading it around. This forum has been great for pre-empting any screw ups I may be about to make. Thanks for that!

Reaction score
Sorry DrDave! The HTML coding on here is a little different than what I'm use to. I edited the post so they'd show up.

And here is how it looks at night.

IMG_3435-vi.jpg

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Looking good...Does your linner go all the way under and up behind the fall ??

Reaction score
Yes Sir, the liner goes all the way behind the waterfall. It seems to be leaking around the edges near the corners where it flows over. I may need to take the bottom half of it appart and fold it up a little higher. When I do, I'll also check to make sure that no part of it slipped down during construction. I initially suspected that but the danged thing only seems to leak when the falls are running so I'm guessing it's related to that little bit of moisture that I've seen collecting at the edges.

Ask a Question