Starting a new 250 litre

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Starting a new 250 litre pond need advice on filtration and pumps and stocking?

Attachments

• upload_2017-9-29_14-42-16.png
    upload_2017-9-29_14-42-16.png
    121.5 KB · Views: 221

IPA

Reaction score
63b Chesapeake-Pamlico Lowlands and Tidal Marshes
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum. What is your goal with the pond? Do you want to keep fish and how many? Is the pond deep enough to allow fish to over-winter? What is your hardiness zone? What research have you done? Are you aware of the nitrogen cycle and that it could take more than a couple of month to become established and "safe" for fish in cooler climates? So, what filter and pump you need depends on these and other considerations.

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Goal is to have a sustanible ecosystem for 1 or two fish. Either golden orfes or Fancy goldfish. Yes I am from Ireland and it doesn't get extremely cold so the will be wintered. I have always kept tropical aquriums so I know all about cycling etc. I am wondering do I need a filter if I have a pump and a waterfall going into the pond which will be heavely planted and water changes done weekely with the debris vacuumed from the bottom

IPA

Reaction score
63b Chesapeake-Pamlico Lowlands and Tidal Marshes
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
If you are heavily planting (with marginal plants) you wouldn't want a lot of mechanical filtration other than protecting the pump. You will still need some biological and from what I understand, even the plant roots provide a good amount of surface area for the nitrifying bacteria to grow. Others may have different takes though.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
with a filter you wont need to change the water. just clean the filter.

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Yes put the price of filters is extremely expensive maybe ill make my own small one

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Goldfish for that size pond is pretty much the only option. Koi get too big. Orfes also get too big and need large open water as they love to speed around the pond.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
upload_2017-9-29_9-12-8.gif
@jonny23
Chubby fantail goldfish might be neat in a pond that size as they don't move real fast or try to jump like Shubinkin's might. Otherwise long tailed comets are nice. I have a few Shubunkins and lots of comets in mine and so far none have jumped out.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our group! The little fantails would do fine in that pond. How cold do you get in your area?

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
I am going to put two fantail goldfish in the pond when its complete and cycled. I decide to get a all in one filter and pump and still heavely plants it.
My grandmother has a 250 gallon pond with crystal clear water I was thinking of taking water from that to add to my pond to increase the rate of cycling is that a good idea or should I just use fresh water?

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Come to think of it isn't it a bit late to start a new pond? If I was you better to wait till spring. In 2-4 weeks fish won't be able to eat with the cold, plus be hard to cycle in low temps. Fish be stressed out.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Its built and cycling at the moment got water from another pond 1/4 filled it then filled the rest with fast flowing water from a stream, buying two fantails that are already housed outdoors so will be no major shock to them

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Best fish for that size of a pond is fancy goldfish... ranchus, ryukins, fantails or orandas.

Pick good quality ones else they won't tolerate wintering outside... this pond needs to be all beneath the surface. Cover it in the winter and put a deicer.

Hate to say it but a filter is a must down the road as fish multiply.

Ask a Question