Starting a new pond - would appreciate any and all help.

Reaction score
Don't worry it has already been dug, so no help shoveling needed. :)

The plan is to have a wedge shaped pond, deep end 4' approximately 8' accross and a little over 20' in length. I am using the firestone 45 mil liner with an underlayment. Also I have been advised by some locals to put down chicken wire to prevent critters (gophers and chipmonks) from burrowing and chewing through my liner. Seems like an easy and cheap solution if it is necessary. I figured it can't hurt.

I plan to have just some goldfish, approximately 8-10 from my old preformed pond. 6 of them are over 8 years old. I am going to have a ledge for potted plants running the length. On the oppisite side of the ledge is my deck. The water will run right to the edge of the deck, with no railing. I'm hoping it will be a good effect. I have no small children but I do have a chocolate lab, Scooby. It might be challenge to keep him out of the water.

I was going to build a water fall box right on the deck to flow into the deep end. I was thinking of hiding underneath it my filtration. A rubbermaid tub with the "stuff" to collect helpful baterial as well as to remove particulates. I do want to in incorporate a UV system as well. The top of the waterfall box will have lava rock and whatever type of pretty plants my wife likes at the moment. Additionally I was thinking of having 3-4 powerheads on the wall of the deep end and connecting them to a red sea wave maker(have it already from my salt water days) to make some wave action to the shallow end of the pond.

I have been running preformed ponds, waterfall with a bog for years. They ranged from 50 - 300 gallons.

So my questions are;
1. am I completely frickin nuts? (no fair asking my wife)
2. What type of filtration system should I build? I would like to keep it to a 3.5' square box or so?
3. This pond will have alot of direct sunlight, how big of a UV system should I get?
4. What am I missing? I would rather over plan, over spend to start with to get a stable, easy to care for and pretty system. Pittsburgh does have a fairly cold and long winter. So I might have to plan for that as well.

Any and all advice is welcome.

I have spent some time looking through the filtration basics and other threads for help.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
welcome and yep we will all agree you are pond nut so don't have to ask your wifey . :LOL: ok to start what are your average temps .Here in VA I went over 4 ft for the hot summers .Filters are easy lots of videos on you tube .Mine is in direct sunlight no uv and clear water

Reaction score
Hmmm, I didn't even think about summer temps. June July and August we are in the low to mid 80's.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
As long as your pond water does not get to hot I use a shade sail I made and also have a bridge i built over my pond .I live 15 minutes from NC and it gets over a 100 degrees here in the summer .
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:53237]

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have no uv, and clear water, filter my pond with a large bog. Mine is around 5.5 feet deep in the deepest part for summer heat, winter cold.
Also have a deck pond that waterfalls into the stream which heads down to the pond. I like your water box idea on the deck, makes a neat look waterfalling into the pond

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
oh you are going to find out fast ponds are not easy until well established and the other thing is you are always changing some thing with it .( 9 years of this and it is still a work in progress )

Reaction score
LDMF said:
Hmmm, I didn't even think about summer temps. June July and August we are in the low to mid 80's.
Same temp range here. Main pond is 4.5 to 5 foot deep but had fish over winter in a connected pond (future bog) that was only 2 to 3 foot deep ... did fine, except something had some winter "snacks" in the upper pond .. With as steep the sides are, thinking something hung out where the gravel was, and it was the most shallow. Putting another pond in soon, and just plannning it all to be a consistent 3.5 feet.

Reaction score
Thank you one and all. I promise pictures soon. I will no even have a liner until Thursday. For good or bad I'm stuck with my depth because I ordered my liner. I hope the extra half a foot or so will will not be a big difference. I guess we shall see

I do realize that I have lots of time that I am going to put in, but that's not hard it's a hobby, something to play with. Remember I have done a 300 plus gallon reef tank. That I would consider work. Much more detail needed. I say that with genuine humility being I have not put together a couple thousand gallon pond yet. Only 3 preformed pond all with bogs from small to just over small. I have been lucky or successful depending on how you classify it. And I hope to continue the trend. I will need help to help me lesson my mistakes. No matter how well all of you teach me I am sure that I will screw up somewhat. It's just the nature of being a Italian man. you gotta a problem wit dat?

So back to questions, I Am pretty certain that I am going with uv. What size do I need? I will follow flow rates.

I am still being drawn towards the pressured systems, a I going to regret this?

Otherwise I'm going to go with a DIY Rubbermaid or the like. Any particular videos of building the filtration systems that you suggest?

How about the actual waterfall itself, just a overhang or do I go with a stainless fall?

Thanks in advance.

My Pittsburgh Penguins are looking so awesome, just a observation and not meant in a bad way. Beer works. :).

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I know when I put my liner in I had 2 feet extra on each side and After it was in and water started going in liner was settling from weight and it actually settled over 8 inches in total .I marked the liner after 3 days of noticing it and it probably sunk more than that

Reaction score
Sounds great! I believe JW's hubby built her a stainless waterfall feature, hopefully she chimes in with her advise :) Also, I am so Jealous of your temps in the summer! Don't I wish Indiana summers would only be in the 80's! Heck mid 80's in July? We'd have to wear jackets! :LOL: Seeing as you are just staying with goldies, 4 ft is plenty deep enough. Now koi would need more depth, BUT that can always be your NEXT pond :D

Ask a Question