Starting a new pond

Reaction score
I have been working on a pond in my parents back yard. it is 12'x12'x3.5' to 4'deep with a small stream about 24" wide and 20' long that runs into a 4'x4'x4' tank in the ground where the pump will be located at. the pump will run the water from there to the fall which is about 15' or so from the lower tank. first of all Im not sure of the gallons on it and second, what size pump do you think I need to run the fall which will be less then 5' high and also feed the stream? I was looking at one that was 11,000 GPH but was wondering if thats overkill. Im totally blind on this part. any help getting this thing setup would be nice.
Thanks guys

Will

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
that would be i wild rapid,,i got a new pump today ,4200 laguna 160 watts.think about what it cost to run 24/7

Reaction score
Well thats why im here. I have no clue as to what size pump I need, can you give me an idea of about what size would be best for a pond that size with a small stream???

Reaction score
Well I calculate the pond with the filter box to be 4800 gallons. Is that about right? If that is the case, then you would need about a 2400 to 3000 gph pump. I found this information at this website

Reaction score
Wow, I was way off. I thought it would need a large pump to feed the stream. Would it hurt to use a pump that was around 4000 gph? I will go read up on that link you gave me.
I also didn't know it was that many gallons either. Thanks for the info.

Will

Reaction score
4000 gph wouldn't be overkill. Remember to check the amps of the pump you will be selecting. Cheaper pumps normally have high electrical requirements, so running 24/7 can get pretty price on the electric bill.

I have a 700gph pump for my old pond, that cost me more in electricity then both my new pumps combined.

Ask a Question