Starting lotus from seed

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Has anyone ever started lotus from seed? How long does it take once the seed coat is nicked to the first shoots appearing? When is the best time to start seeds? I have seen where people say after the coat is nicked to place the seed in warm, clean water. The water must be changed everyday. Can I use fertilizer to help with growth once the seed starts sprouting??

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I tried from seed before. I used the electric handheld grinder to grind the hard skin off, it's safer than using a knife which wont even damage the skin!

Anyway, it took about 5-7 days for me. I changed the water daily. just normal tap water, a bit warm.

My lotus grew well for a season, but didnt send any aerial leaf up. it didnt survive the winter though.

ZmanArt007

Fish Keeper and Filmmaker
Reaction score
Sometimes Los Angeles, Sometimes Nebraska
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
I tried from seed and only one seed actually sprouted. Unfortunately I accidentally killed it. I'm not sure how long it took, this was a couple years ago. I don't know where you got your seeds from but if you just purchased a pod from Hobby Lobby or similar they are most-likely tropical varieties so they will have to be brought indoors for the winter.

Ask a Question