starting new pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Had to re build our pond,due to the fact that we moved onto our own property :D.., just looking for reassurance that i'm going in the right direction..just a little concerned that where the 2 larger rocks are that there's enough pond liner there,,,( the size is 8x7 with approx 2.5 ft deep.
Upwhere that white bucket is is where the misses whats a waterfall.
Also any recommendations would be appreciated ,Thankyou

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    205.9 KB · Views: 316

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
You are concerned about the liner behind the 2 rocks. In the 4th picture it looks like there is no liner above the rock. The pond is going to settle over time. Can you shift the liner (know it would mean draining the pond)?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
You are concerned about the liner behind the 2 rocks. In the 4th picture it looks like there is no liner above the rock. The pond is going to settle over time. Can you shift the liner (know it would mean draining the pond)?
Ahh i see that,,, there is liner there, its just wet
6.jpg
7.jpg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
If you can't shift it or just don't want to you are gonna have to keep an eye on that spot and maybe re-mound up under there once in awhile. If it's a low spot water will run out through there first and tend to cave in the soil under there. I had issues like that w/my liner but I had plenty of extra liner tucked under so I could pull out more to make it higher. Always nice to have extra rolled under when things go awry.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
I get what you mean, might be better to drain the pond and move the liner , I know the misses will complain lol. Been without our fish since april (I dug a temporary pond at a friends house while we moved,got set set up ,etc.) and I know she wants them home asap.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Yep might as well fix it now cuz it and the missus will bug you if you don't! You don't want to hear the shoulda, woulda, coulda forever,lol!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I'd splice /seam a new piece of rubber onto it . You don't have any serious folds in that spot so adding some rubber will be easy to do slip a board under the rubber to get a firm base to make it easier for your self.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Or just pull up the liner add some dirt behind it, make that one spot a bit higher.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
yea, think you're right..I should just be able to rotate the line, hopefully

Great start! I have one spot in my pond where the liner is short like that. I put down some heavy rocks like what you did and never have had a problem. I even have a pear tree in the ground right next to it. It just depends what you are comfortable with. It looks like you made the ground around the pond uneven to make the pond look natural. One problem with that is when you fill it with water some of the liner will be really tough to hide. I prefer to make the edges as level as possible so the liner is all hidden when it is filled with water, then you can build up edges around the pond with rocks and berm the dirt where you want to add height.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I was going to say the same as @CometKeith - I'm not sure if those high edges were intended to stay that way, but you're setting yourself up for issues if they do. The pond liner should be level all the way around. You can add variety and height by varying the size of rocks that you use around the edge when you're sure the water level is good.

And if it were me, I would pull the liner up and get more on that side that's concerning you - It's only going to settle lower and you'll have a potential problem. Fix it while it's still relatively easy to do. Just my opinion.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Thanks for all the input... i ended up draining the pond and back filled that problem side a little,,
Added the fish from the temp pond at our friends.. now to get to work on the edges..., least now i can keep eye on them every day :)

20181027_175518.jpg
20181027_133719.jpg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
@Jutt when you drained all that water out and you put fresh water in and then all the fish right away that could be an issue as you have a lot of fish in there and did not give the pond a chance to cycle. I hope you added some of your friends old water and maybe some filter gunk so as to speed up the good bacteria forming. If not you may want to do that soon.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Yup, i did add some of the other pond water and long with the gunk from the filter.. the bio filter ,pump and prefilter all came from the other pond.

Ask a Question