Starting over after leak

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
I am new to the forum and my pond developed a leak along the seam (I didn't seam it right the first time) so we have pulled the liner out and I am reseaming it. While we have the liner out I am thinking about making a couple of changes but I'd like advice about them first. The pond used to be lined with retaining wall bricks that I used to make a level surface and have something to lay the underlayment and liner on top. My husband wants to use the retaining wall bricks somewhere else and thinks we don't need them - that we can lay our big flat rocks right on the dirt to hold the liner down. Also I was thinking about putting in a fountain with a short little creek that flows into a bog type garden and then into the pond. I don't know if any of this makes sense but if not maybe you can ask me questions that I can answer to make it clearer. Thanks.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Do you mean the pond is above ground or below ground .You don't need anything under a liner .I just dug the hole put in the underlayment and built up my sides with concrete block so 2 1/2 feet is underground and 2 feet is above ground

Attachments

• 100_7112.JPG
    100_7112.JPG
    233.9 KB · Views: 144
Reaction score
Country
Canada
I feel bad for you. I'm in the process of doing shit myself. I have a leak on an inground pond liner.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
The pond is underground. The blocks were a kind of lip around the top edge of the pond. I'd post pictures but I haven't quite figured out that part yet.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I used concrete block and you can see it when I rebuilt on here .I have 2 layers of block on top of each other and they are packed with dirt with rebar down the center .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
I'm (obviously) having problems posting my pictures. I'll try this again. Thanks for your patience.

Reaction score
You can cover the top of the liner with dirt or stones . Just make sure that there is enough liner extending over the edge so that it doesn't fall back in. You could have 30 feet over the edge and it wouldn't matter. Stones are better because they don't leak dirt back into the pond. If you haven't already done it, you might consider cutting in a step near the top on one part of it so that you can set some marginal plants. The liner would form to the step when the pond gets filled with water.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have marginals in pots around the edges, or stuck in rocks.

Ask a Question