Starting over

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi everyone! I hope we have some creative folks online! We are in Southern California and it is 80 degrees today; pretty typical for most of the year! Sorry snowbirds!
Anyway, we are doing a makeover of our back yard; it is sloping down into the patio area with a former fountain at the center point. My thought is to jackhammer the center; remove the concrete and brick and turn it into a small garden pond, leaving the brick retaining wall. Then to put in three spillways from the wall into the new pond. I would love any ideas or feedback as I am at a total loss as to what to do with this.

Thank you so much! I look forward to hearing from you all.

Attachments

• WIN_20150308_133352.JPG
    WIN_20150308_133352.JPG
    234.7 KB · Views: 196

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
welcome and that would make a perfect spot for a pond ..I am in Virginia and it is 72 right now and sun feels great .You can put a clear water sealant on the bricks so it will not absorb the water .But have to say that would be a great focal point and the sound would be relaxing

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum! I have a ton of creativity, but its more towards coming up with a look rather than actually achieving it. :LOL:

I love the hill in the background. It would be a great spot for a small stream that could somehow flow into the pond. Not sure how to help, but maybe a visual will give you some ideas.

dfgdfg.png

No matter what you come up with, I hope you share the entire process with us. You've got a great spot to work with and I'd love to see how it turns out.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum! I have a ton of creativity, but its more towards coming up with a look rather than actually achieving it. :LOL:

I love the hill in the background. It would be a great spot for a small stream that could somehow flow into the pond. Not sure how to help, but maybe a visual will give you some ideas.

View attachment 78881

No matter what you come up with, I hope you share the entire process with us. You've got a great spot to work with and I'd love to see how it turns out.
Great idea by the way, what program did you use for your illustration?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Welcome, you have a great palette to work with. I agree that hill would be great for a stream.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I love JB's idea, but I think I would swing the starting point of the stream to the left or the right - create a little mystery about where that stream actually starts.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I love JB's idea, but I think I would swing the starting point of the stream to the left or the right - create a little mystery about where that stream actually starts.
Another great idea! I hadn't thought about coming from the side!
Thank you so much!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi Welcome. I think you might want to consider a small upper pond with a waterfall into the larger lower pond instead of a stream, but both would be good ideas. I wish I was a snow bird! Those are the ones that go someplace warm in the winter and leave the cold behind....shiverrrrr shiverrrr...

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
great job jb on giving a hint of what it could look like .you could also do a split stream half way down or even a small middle pond .Jb's illustration gives me so many ideas

Ask a Question