Starting Over

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Stingroy, Jan 28, 2017.

1. Stingroy

Stingroy

I've had a pond now for over 12 years. I love my pond!!! I've had koi and goldfish and have had to restock a few times because of blue herons. I'd start with just a few fish (5-10) and in a few years I'd have 30-50. Have a waterfall that feeds into a pond around 2,500 gal. I live outside of Denver Co. and have successfully kept 99% of my fish alive through the winter. Last October my pond started losing water. I've had small leaks before but always found and repaired them. I was very upset because winter was coming I couldn't find a leak. My pond liner is EDPM. So long story short, I've lost all my fish. I couldn't keep up with the leak. My fish are probably all dead under the ice.
    So now I'm going to completely start over. Not an easy task. My main reason for joining is to get advice on doing things right. I know I made a lot of mistakes when I first built the pond. Things I've had to try to fix to keep my pond alive. Sorry for the long story. Looking forward to getting to know some of you and maybe help along the way.

Attached Files:

Stingroy, Jan 28, 2017
    1. Advertisements

2. Stingroy

Meyer Jordan Tadpole

We are all here to help in any way that we can.

Meyer Jordan, Jan 28, 2017
    1. Advertisements

3. Stingroy

Stingroy

Stingroy, Jan 28, 2017
  4. Stingroy

Gemma

I love your pond! Welcome to the group!:)

Gemma, Jan 28, 2017
  5. Stingroy

Stingroy

So I've always have had a problem with crud building up in the deepest areas. Ive read about having a drain at the bottom to remove the crud. I understand how that would be great to remove the crud. What I'm wondering is what happens in the winter when anything above ground freezes. So I run a pipe underneath the pond and then my pipe has to come above ground where the crud water is pumped out, but in the winter there would be water in that pipe. It would be full of water at the same elevation of the water in my pond. Anything above at least two feet in the ground will freeze.I always blow the pipes (I have two pumps) that go to my waterfall from two skimmers out before things might start freezing. Anyone have some great ideas. I tried one winter keeping both pumps going to my waterfall but had so much ice build up it was draining my pond. I was out on top of the ice with an axe chopping the ice away. Ha. Help

Stingroy, Jan 28, 2017
  6. Stingroy

Stingroy

Thanks. I'm glad to be a part of pond people. Ha

Stingroy, Jan 28, 2017
  7. Stingroy

JBtheExplorer Native Gardener

Well, I hope you do something similar with your new pond, because your pond looks amazing! :)

Would love to see more photos!

JBtheExplorer, Jan 28, 2017
  8. Stingroy

Stingroy

Thanks. Somewhere I have more pics, but been looking and can't find them. I really don't want to change much just make it deeper in some areas and make it more maintenance friendly. Mostly I don't want it to leak anymore. I have a feeling I had a vine root from nearby that broke through the liner. Guess I won't find out out till May!

Stingroy, Jan 28, 2017
  9. Stingroy

Tula

Welcome :)

Tula, Jan 28, 2017
  10. Stingroy

Big Lou

Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
    Good luck to you. I've been there and feel your pain. Take care.

Big Lou, Jan 29, 2017
  11. Stingroy

Becky Administrator

Great to have you here! :)

Becky, Jan 29, 2017
  12. Stingroy

cas

You have a very nice pond. Sorry to hear about the leak. Do you know the thickness of your EDPM liner?

cas, Jan 29, 2017
  13. Stingroy

Lisak1

Very pretty pond!

I am curious about your "leaks" - were these holes in your liner? Or low spots that needed lifting? I think someone already asked what type liner you used - that's because 45mil EPDM liner should last more than 12 years and is pretty impervious to most roots. Plants tend to be rather lazy, preferring to go around a liner rather than through it. I'm not sure what a "vine root" is though, so maybe it's a really invasive type plant?

Lisak1, Jan 29, 2017
  14. Stingroy

Riftlake

The rocks in the pond look natural, but they trap the crap which decomposes making the pond into an unflushed toilet. A bottom drain leading to a mechanical filter of some type which removes the crud would be a huge improvement.

A filter pit with a cover could solve the problem of the pipe freeze up in the winter if you shut the circulation down. The benefits of a filter pit would be the filtration could be gravity fed from the drain thus being more energy efficient when circulating water through the filter. The filtration and piping could be more easily kept from freezing being underground. The filtration system would also be easier to keep out of sight.

Riftlake, Jan 30, 2017
  15. Stingroy

Stingroy

Thanks

Stingroy, Jan 30, 2017
  16. Stingroy

Stingroy

Not sure I understand what that would look like. Sounds good though. Do you have a site where I could see that explained. I know all my rocks look great in the pond but bring a lot of problems with it. I've looked at vacuums, but when I read the reviews I'm discouraged from purchasing one. Thought about using a sump pump to clean out the muck. I have a friend with more of a small lake than a pond. She uses a sump pump to clean her's out. Her pond has no liner. There is enough clay in her soil that keeps her pond from losing water. She had huge, giant koi until a 100 year flood washed everything out. I will start researching filter pits. Thanks for info

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2017
    Stingroy, Jan 30, 2017
  17. Stingroy

sissy sissy

The best thing to have done if you knew you had a leak was to get something to save some of your fish .I got those big water tanks with cages around them that my neighbor cut the top out of and each holds 2000 gallons and they come smaller also .They are great help to have around

sissy, Feb 1, 2017
  18. Stingroy

Lisak1

Mmmm... gonna disagree with this comment, just to keep the conversation balanced. We have a rocked pond / gravel bottom and it's definitely not an "unfleshed toilet". There are conflicting opinions on this subject and many factors that have to be considered. It's been debated plenty of times - no need to replay that here.

Lisak1, Feb 1, 2017
  19. Stingroy

addy1 water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins Moderator

Welcome to our group, that is a beautiful pond you have. Love the water fall.

addy1, Feb 2, 2017
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question