Starting waterfall build - going about it the right way ?

Reaction score
Hi Folks

Started some groundwork on my waterfall today (before the weather started to go bad , sigh! )

So I cut some liner for the waterfall , set 8-10 inches of this inside my pond over the existing liner and started to build up some rocks over that . This is where I will eventually place my flat stone (starting from bottom and working my way up)
I assume my logic here is correct ? I want liner under all this rock so any spillage from the waterfall can make its way back into the pond ?

Or should I be building up that rock layer and then only put the liner on top of that and under the flat rock etc ?

Hope I explained that clearly , see pic .

p.s that white foam just started appearing after I started working in pond - must have been something on one of those rocks I guess , or the liner .

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    57.6 KB · Views: 378

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I put liner under the rocks, hides it nicely and also collects any "lost" water and heads it back to the pond.

The white foam is probably from dirt etc that was on your rocks/liner

Reaction score
I was going to pack the back of the stones with some sand-cement mix just to hold them in place. I see some people use a foam for this too.

What would you recommend using the seal between the stone edges etc where the water will cascade down ? Should I cement those in or use a synthetic solution ?

Reaction score
Mortar is best imo.

You didn't mention it, but there should be a gap between the overlapped liners to stop water wicking. If you use any kind of caulk you want to let it dry before laying down the top liner. You want a gap, not a "seal". Seals can make wicking worst.
StreamOverlap.jpg

Reaction score
Thanks Waterbug .
No I didnt leave any gap to be honest ......im hoping there wouldn't be a need to as the area where i built the waterfall is the lowest point in the pond and I am hoping that if it rains etc an overfill will seep on here anyway....

You think I need to do this anyway ? I don't really fancy redoing the few hrs I spent today , again .

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
A few of my over laps have no gap and no sealant, but there is a good drop in elevation. I have not had water wick its way out. some of my overlaps have goop between the liners, they are doing fine so far.

WB's method will keep water from working up between the two liners and leaking.

If you have a good drop you most likely will be ok. Judging by your picture, you appear to have a good drop between the water fall and the pond.

Reaction score
Just did a test there to see / hear what the water flow is going to be like ...... its noisy , but looks pretty. Any suggestions for a ) taking the noise down b ) slowing down the water flow or do I need to just reduce my height to reduce noise ? I am assuming the higher my flow height the faster the water will be as it enters the pond again .. At the moment the fall is about 12 inches from water level.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Ball valve to divert some of the water to the pond instead of the waterfall .Turn her down baby turn her down :razz:

Reaction score
Ball valve to divert some of the water to the pond instead of the waterfall .Turn her down baby turn her down :razz:

Heh heh good idea so divert before heading up the fall , so to speak . If I built a weir would that slow it down some I wonder ?

Reaction score
I assume you mean a Y-Splitter Ball Valve , don't suppose you have an example ? I need ones with a 2" pipe fitting .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
A weir would spread the water out over the sides of the waterfall .I used 2 hoses and put the ball valve on only one of them coming out of the pump and the other just went into the pond .I only had a ball valve on the one going to my filter and turned that down .I have never seen a y one here but heard they do have them but not for 2 inch size pipe .My pipe is 1 5/8 th and could not find one for that size either .

Reaction score
Hmm not sure I like the sound of that . The tech specs of the filter/pump state a 2" pipe is needed for optimal pressure and / enhanced performance so dont want to start messing with valve sizes etc Will have to think of another way of doing it maybe using rocks to soften the noise

Reaction score
You CAN get a 2" pvc ball valve... we have one on our filter... running an 8000 gph pump through a 5000 gph filter, so had to divert some of the water or it over flowed out of the backside of the filter box. If you cant find one, go to an irrigation supply house.

Ask a Question