Statuary Fountain Pump vs Pond Pump? Difference?

Reaction score
What is the difference between a Statuary Fountain Pump vs Pond Pump? Some that I have seen online have the same GPH and Watts and the same maximum pumping height.

Any suggestions on some online websites that have the best prices on pumps?

Thanks!

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
I sell a line of cheaper submersible pumps at the garden center, and the only difference is that the fountain pumps have a two-prong plug and the 'lamp' type wire (flat), whereas the pond models have the three-prong plugs (grounded) and 16-3 round cord.
John

Reaction score
Does the plug type make a difference?

Also, I am using the water pump to pump water out of a whiskey barrel up through an old fashioned hand water pump(pic). One pump, that I am looking at, has a 7' maximum pumping height and another has a 12' pumping height. Do I need to figure the distance from the pump, in the bottom of the barrel, out the barrel, to the bottom of the hand pump, to figure out the pumping height? I want to make sure that the pump has enough pressure to push the water up through the hand pump to the end of the hand pump nozzle.

Attachments

• water-pump.jpg
    water-pump.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 379

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I know a lot of the statuary pumps I see here have a dial to dial them up or down and have no filter Harbor freight sells them like that .I still have one in my stock tank and that has been 4 years now .I put it in a small plastic container with lava rock so it does not get plugged by roots from the plants .No top on the container .I do clean it all out every 2 months .

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
For most intents and purposes, there is no difference.
Check on-line for sales for the best pump price.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I look at energy effient ones but not sure if you will be running it all the time .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
The diameter of the hose from the pump to the fountain/hand water pump makes a difference. You need a minimum diameter hose depending on the GPH. If it says 7' maximum pumping height that is from water level where the pump is to the height of the fountain outlet. I think...

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Yup, your pump only has to push water ABOVE the water level in your bottom container. Head height would be from the water surface to the level of the spout.
John

Ask a Question