Step by step instructions on DIY small bio filters.

Reaction score
My new pond is only 60 gallons and I would like to house a few gold fish and aquatic plants in it eventually. For now I just want to keep it from getting gunky! I have searched google and youtube for hours and found either contradicting information or unclear instructions. Can I use the batting material? should I use the dish washing pads at the dollar store o cabon in a mesh bag? What is supposed to go in first? Can these filters be made to run with no electricity? how? Iv got a million questions and I plan on going to get my supply's tomorrow so can any one help me out?

Reaction score
carbon should be on top...and yes they can be made to run on solar power...as for the bio material...we all have our prefences...i use bioballs...others use scrubby pads...some use cut up PVC...and all of these work

Reaction score
GREAT! I love to recycle so I am off to post ad's and see if any one has some of the items I will need for my bio filter (un-used scrubby pads, a rubbermaid container, pvc pipe). If not no biggie!

Ask a Question