Stepping stones

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
I've decide to add three stepping stones to my pond. This is one of a series of afterthoughts. As I've already laid the liner, I can't add footings underneath as I've seen suggested elsewhere.

The flat stones I want to use for the steps are not tall enough so I want to build up the base by about 3 inches. I've done that with lots of cobbles which seem secure but do still have a bit of a wobble.

Any other suggestions on how to put these in place?

I don't want to cement. I tried sand, but that was a disaster.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
cobble under them and people walking on them will put holes in your liner .I would put extra liner under and put them same sized stone until you get up to your desired height .Or you could start off with a slightly larger stone as the base to give the top stone stability .But something under is a must .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
cobble under them and people walking on them will put holes in your liner .I would put extra liner under and put them same sized stone until you get up to your desired height .Or you could start off with a slightly larger stone as the base to give the top stone stability .But something under is a must .
I have put about 4 layers of extra underlay and an extra layer of liner under the cobbles.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Ok. The stepping stones are history. I'll be making a bridge instead.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
I decided to stick with the stones. They look ok, I think.
P1000624.JPG

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I like the white ,shame you could not get a hold of some sugar sand that is white ,it would almost glow

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Is that some sort of submerged gridwork that I am seeing? What is the purpose of that?
Yes. It's to stop the children drowning. Bit of a pig to get in, but it looks better than I thought and the wife says shed be a bit annoyed if we lost one.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
How old are your children? I assume very young. Looks like something you can remove in the future when they are old enough?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
4 year old and 6 months. I think if it was just the 4 year old, I wouldn't be too concerned but I have a feeling our smaller one is going to be her own boss and just go where she wants.

You're right, it effectively sits like a table. It has legs that I've cut to length based on the depth at that point. I'll just lift it out when I don't need it any more.

Ask a Question