Steps to maximize koi babies?

Abby

Nature & zen lover, Aquatic plant sales
Reaction score
Central Texas… home of the 10 month summer! ;)
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have had my pond for 12ish years. I have only shubunkins, let them breed as much as they want, do nothing special. With natures help, frogs, dragon fly larvae, water snakes, etc , the population is still good for the pond without me intervening. That is what I want a self sustaining pond. I would dread needing to drain it or lower the water every year to remove babies.

The heron has helped a few times, it is now blocked until smarty comes back and finds another way to get into the pond.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
let me put it to you this way i had koi eggs get sucked into my plumbing it made it through a strainer basket like a pool, make it by the impeller, and i had koi swimming around in my snorkel and centipede

Abby

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
let me put it to you this way i had koi eggs get sucked into my plumbing it made it through a strainer basket like a pool, make it by the impeller, and i had koi swimming around in my snorkel and centipede
I too vote to just keep them in the pond, plenty will survive.
Thank you so much! ❤️ my hubby said our pond and filtration system is designed to handle it so time will tell! ;)

JBViper4

Fishkeeper
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Thank you so much! ❤️ my hubby said our pond and filtration system is designed to handle it so time will tell! ;)
I haven't replaced a koi (or a goldfish) since I started my (small) pond 15 years ago. I have more spawn now that I expanded it and made it deeper. I see thousands of eggs (some frogs, many goldfish and koi) in the algae in my pond today. I usually let them be, and let Darwin do his thing. The little ones next door love to come over and check up on the babies. Until they are eaten by their parents or uncles/aunts/frogs and there is a lesson in life (but I digress).

I used to scare off herons and egrets but I figured let Nature do its thing. I was down to 7 'survivors' last year (started the day with 10 - bad day with a heron) and now am up to 12 when last years batch came out of the caves and cover of water hyacinth (which BTW clears by water within 2-3 weeks).

If you have the patience, do one of two things. 1) catch the fish, try to raise them and sell them back to fund your hobby or 2) let Nature do its thing and enjoy the critters fascinated by your fish (kids, herons, raccoons, foxes, etc.)

Enjoy your backyard wildlife!

JB

Abby

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I haven't replaced a koi (or a goldfish) since I started my (small) pond 15 years ago. I have more spawn now that I expanded it and made it deeper. I see thousands of eggs (some frogs, many goldfish and koi) in the algae in my pond today. I usually let them be, and let Darwin do his thing. The little ones next door love to come over and check up on the babies. Until they are eaten by their parents or uncles/aunts/frogs and there is a lesson in life (but I digress).

I used to scare off herons and egrets but I figured let Nature do its thing. I was down to 7 'survivors' last year (started the day with 10 - bad day with a heron) and now am up to 12 when last years batch came out of the caves and cover of water hyacinth (which BTW clears by water within 2-3 weeks).

If you have the patience, do one of two things. 1) catch the fish, try to raise them and sell them back to fund your hobby or 2) let Nature do its thing and enjoy the critters fascinated by your fish (kids, herons, raccoons, foxes, etc.)

JB
Thank you so much! ❤️ I suppose I’m trying to find a balance between the two

JB
i suppose I’m trying to find a balance between the two. We have several 2 foot koi that I definitely want to protect to whatever extent I can… but otherwise I’m letting Nature do it’s thing.

JBViper4

Fishkeeper
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Thank you so much! ❤️ I suppose I’m trying to find a balance between the two

i suppose I’m trying to find a balance between the two. We have several 2 foot koi that I definitely want to protect to whatever extent I can… but otherwise I’m letting Nature do it’s thing.
I haven't lost a 2 footer to herons, but I did lose a 9". I'd be really bummed if my 7 year old was picked off.

I think you're cool with letting the big guys and gals eating most of their young, accepting the fact that herons seem to really like 6" and less fish and sell/give the 2" inchers to local fish stores. I'm a big believer in keeping a great pond, but letting Mother Nature take the wheel so I can do other things. Here;s a pic of my pond:
(EDIT) freshly non rinsed gravel gave it a Caribbean color for a couple of hours.

FB_IMG_1590420864104.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I haven't lost a 2 footer to herons, but I did lose a 9". I'd be really bummed if my 7 year old was picked off.

I think you're cool with letting the big guys and gals eating most of their young, accepting the fact that herons seem to really like 6" and less fish and sell/give the 2" inchers to local fish stores. I'm a big believer in keeping a great pond, but letting Mother Nature take the wheel so I can do other things. Here;s a pic of my pond:
(EDIT) freshly non rinsed gravel gave it a Caribbean color for a couple of hours.

View attachment 151217
you have a couple 24" koi in there?

peaceful surroundings

Ask a Question