Sterlet Issues

Discussion in 'Illness and Disease' started by Sterlet5148, Sep 2, 2018.

1. Sterlet5148

Sterlet5148

Hi Everyone,
    I have a mixed pond of Carp, Rudd, barbel and Sterlet, the pond holds between 3.5 to 4 thousand gallons. It is 23' x 13' by 2.5' deep. My issue is that the smallest of my Sterlets which is about 6-8" long just recently (3 x days ago) started floating on the top of my pond with what looked to be a bloated stomach, but it was obviously trying to swim back to the bottom. I read a few strings about this type of issue and so I removed it from the pond and burped it several times over the two days which took away that bloated look. However, it now looks a lot thinner and I wonder if it is eating, or I have just postponed the inevitable? It still occasionally floats but then seems to right itself and swim off and even though I saw him this morning there is now no site of him. Should I give him a quick tap on the head or give him a day or two more (assuming he reappears of course). Any help would be appreciated.

Sterlet5148, Sep 2, 2018
    1. Advertisements

2. Sterlet5148

Tula

Tula, Sep 2, 2018
    1. Advertisements

3. Sterlet5148

Mmathis TurtleMommy

Hello and welcome. I’ve never heard of a sterlet, so I looked them up. This site has a link to a forum that might be helpful.
    http://www.sturgeon-web.co.uk/

Mmathis, Sep 3, 2018
  4. Sterlet5148

addy1 water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins Moderator

Welcome!

Hope you can find your answer, no knowledge of Sterlets. Hope the links above help you.

addy1, Sep 6, 2018
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question