Sterlet Issues

Reaction score
Country
Hi Everyone,
I have a mixed pond of Carp, Rudd, barbel and Sterlet, the pond holds between 3.5 to 4 thousand gallons. It is 23' x 13' by 2.5' deep. My issue is that the smallest of my Sterlets which is about 6-8" long just recently (3 x days ago) started floating on the top of my pond with what looked to be a bloated stomach, but it was obviously trying to swim back to the bottom. I read a few strings about this type of issue and so I removed it from the pond and burped it several times over the two days which took away that bloated look. However, it now looks a lot thinner and I wonder if it is eating, or I have just postponed the inevitable? It still occasionally floats but then seems to right itself and swim off and even though I saw him this morning there is now no site of him. Should I give him a quick tap on the head or give him a day or two more (assuming he reappears of course). Any help would be appreciated.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
Welcome!

Hope you can find your answer, no knowledge of Sterlets. Hope the links above help you.

Ask a Question