Steve_DCrowhouse

Reaction score
Hi, I just found this forum and am excited to get some help in what I hope will be my next chapter in pond-keeping. HEre's a quick introduction to me and some of the questions I hope to answer over the next few weeks and months.

I've had a pond for 12 years but never read a single thing about it and just winged it based on my knowledge from keeping fresh and mostly saltwater aquariums over the years. THe small pond (probably 40 gallons) was already installed when we bought our house, which is a rowhouse in the heart of Washington, DC. This is a very densely settled urban area. Our yard is about 15' x 15' with some cut out for the walkway to the stoop. We have a cherry tree in the yard and mostly flowers with an oval shaped pond that is about 3' x 2' with max depth of about 14". The whole garden is raised about 2' from the sidewalk, which gets heavy foot traffic, so our humble little garden and pond are seen by many many people.

Shortly after moving in, my wife ran out and bought a filter when the fish, neglected by the previous owner, started jumping out from the water that looked like pea soup. I kept up maintenance by changing water occasionally, rinsing and occasionally changing filter media, putting in additiives now and then, adding a few plants, and feeding. Our current population of four comets has been stable for years until a recent death. The fish have grown to about 8".

Now we're thinking of taking it to the next level. Rats have eaten through the lining and we want to renovate our garden and install new retaining walls, so I'm going to start over and do this right. We'll replace 100% of the soil and get new rat-proof garbage cans to discourage the rodents from returning (The water was and will always be very attractive to them).

Where to begin? I'll start by reading up on this forum. Because our yard is raised and highly visible from the sidewalk, I was thinking of installing a pond with an acrylic panel on the sidewalk-facing side, perhaps built into the retaining wall. This could be a neat feature for passersby to enjoy. Other than the tiny space we have available, the sky is the limit. I can't wait to start planning and look forward to learning from experienced pond-keepers.

Steve

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Welcome to the Forum
A few pics would be nice to see

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Welcome! There's another member (Whisky?) who did the view-panel thing with his pond -- really cool! You can do a member search for his name (Whisky is all I remember), and lives in the UK.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
He did the water wheel also and that was his big remake of the whole pond and added the window check out the construction sight .

Reaction score
WELCOME TO OUR FORUM STEVE!! :wave: Please show us the current pond so we can follow your progress! Hmmm Rats huh? That's one thing I've not had a bother with :) can't say I'm upset with that one :LOL:

Reaction score
I don't know if this will work, but I'm trying to attach a few pics. Sorry, but you may have to tilt your head. :banghead3:
IMG_15081.JPG
IMG_15031.JPG
IMG_15041.JPG

Consider this the "before" shot.

Reaction score
The water level is low because it only rises to the hole where the rats ate through. I have rat boroughs throughout the yard, so I'm tearing everything out, adding new soil, new retaining walls and rat-proof garbage can. Life in the city.

Reaction score
For something like this where space is limited and rats chewing through the liner is a problem I would consider purchasing a water trough from a place like tractor supply. Might as well get one in the 150 gallon range. I also know there is a decorative preformed pond meant to be above ground out there. It already has the viewing windows built in.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I really like the "courtyard" look with the fence! But was just thinking about a few things [that only I would think about, so not trying to discourage you].

Not sure if they make "scratch-proof" plexiglass, but you will get algae. Would repeated cleaning mar the surface? Maybe not. Also, [and I don't know about the demographics where you are] would it ever be a concern that people would want to throw stuff into the pond? Maybe try to feed the fish, or otherwise interact with them....? Obviously that hasn't been a problem so far, but it's something I would worry about if the fish were more visible to the public.

You really have great potential there for having a really cute pond! A little waterfall would be perfect! Keep us updated on your decisions and progress!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Gosh rats ate through it geeze .Nice rocks .Nice that every one else can enjoy it also .Most reasons for rats wanting water is because they have ingested poison to kill them off .All the boxes of rat poison usually say this ,at least the ones I bought .

Reaction score
Dieselplower, you've given me hope. If there is a preformed pond that is sturdy and has a viewing pane, that could be just what I'm looking for. (Any help with links or suggestions would be welcome!)

I've had indoor fish tanks for years so I'm not worried about keeping it clean. I'd just an acrylic-safe magnet scrubber and buff out any scratches it develops. I do fear that miscreants would try to take the fish, reach into the pond, and do all kinds of damage. We've had problems in the past, including people trying to steal fish (mostly kids). I would probably cover the section near the sidewalk or erect some kind of natural-looking barrier. As for the rats, they seek water regardless, but yeah, we've had a bad year, so we've been putting out lots of poison and killing lots of pests. The poison does make them seek water, but so far none have taken a death plunge and fouled the water.

These kinds of problems -- rats and neighborhood thugs -- are probably relatively unique to my situation. On the other hand, allowing hundreds of people to enjoy my pond every day would be pretty satisfying. There are some elementary schools whose kids march past the yard every morning on the way to the park for recess. I'm looking forward to learning whatever I can here while I plan my next move.

Steve

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crystal8899

Latest Threads