Sticky Doc Bio Filter

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Pictures or the Doc Bio Filter are attached. These may also be found at any time from my signature link.

The Doc filter uses 1/2" irrigation tubing cut about 1 1/2" long and there are about 7000 of them. The overflow goes down a cascading water and its peformance is superior to anything I have ever used in my almost 42 years of ponding. These tubes will never clogg and will backflush without any problems since they do not retain water or the impurities that some of the other medias do.

The output water is as clear as bottled drinking water and this filter will take a pea soup pond to clear in 48 hours after installation.

Link to filter: http://drdaveskoi.tripod.com/html/doc_bio_filter.html

Attachments

• G_55 gal 2 in dump valve.jpg
    G_55 gal 2 in dump valve.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 2,109
  • J_55 gal inlet and support installed.jpg
    J_55 gal inlet and support installed.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 2,156
  • M1_55 gal grate inlet assy.jpg
    M1_55 gal grate inlet assy.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 2,296
  • N2_55 gal filter top view.jpg
    N2_55 gal filter top view.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 2,319

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
If you go to the link, you will find this one and the new style "Doc Filter" in detail. Parts list is pretty much self explanatory.

Reaction score
Just a quick question:
Would it be better to have the dump valve on the actual bottom of the drum? It would seem that I would be guaranteed to get all the crud out and I would have a flat surface to attach to... Yes No?

Thanks.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Yes, closer to the bottom is better. That means you will have to suspend your drum for the clearance required.

Reaction score
I plan on setting it on 2 layers of cinder block, therefore I will be placing the dump on the bottom. Thanks.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
You might want to use a piece of plywood between the cinder blocks and the drum to help distribute the weight. Otherwise, the drum may not last long.

Reaction score
I have already built a support structure out 2x4s but maybe laying a piece of plywood over that would provide even more support, thanks for the suggestion.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
These drums are not as bulletproof as you might think. I set mine down too hard and it cracked. Now I have to use plastic liners in it. I use it to have water on hand for my nursery and hospital aquariums.

Reaction score
Dr. i'm trying out the plastic fencing also. I'm adding a twist by cutting them in smaller rolls like hair curler lengths and tying them with fishing line.It will be placed in a laundry bag with some bio balls that i had left over. Thanks for the concept.

sam

Ask a Question