Sticky Doc Bio Filter

Discussion in 'DIY - Do It Yourself' started by DrDave, Dec 5, 2009.

1. DrDave

DrDave Innovator Moderator

You are obviously a child so I am going to let this go. We tried to help you and for some reason no answer was good enough for you. Any further smart ass comments will be your last.

DrDave, Jun 28, 2011
    DaneDad likes this.
    1. Advertisements

2. DrDave

fishin4cars True friends just call me Larkin Moderator

This is a warning! Name calling will not be tolertated. You kept asking and getting super technical when you didn't understand the basic's to how it would balance. I will back any member here when it comes to this, not just a Mod. No name calling, no personal insulting, OR YOU WILL BE BANNED!

fishin4cars, Jun 28, 2011
    DaneDad likes this.
    1. Advertisements

3. DrDave

BennyLava

Hey doc maybe I missed this part, but what are the holes for in the pipe at the top of the barrel, in this pic? Won't water be pouring out those holes?

Attached Files:

BennyLava, Jul 8, 2011
  4. DrDave

The part with the holes in it I call "The Snorkel" it's job is overflow back to the pond. There are many holes to insure that water will allways flow out. In the past, a leaf or build up of stuff has impeded the flow, this was designed to aleviate that problem.
    The 3/4" pipe to the left is water in and going to the "bottom swirler".

DrDave, Jul 8, 2011
  5. DrDave

sissy sissy

I have holes like that but put an air hose in one of them really makes it bubble

sissy, Jul 9, 2011
  6. DrDave

BennyLava

Ok if I am understanding, you don't care that some of the water is actually flowing out of those holes and back into the barrel. As long as some of the water actually goes back into the pond. Cause it looks like the water that comes out of those holes is going to end up right back in the bio filter. Does that sound right? I am probably going to be building one this weekend so I have to get all the kinks worked out.

BennyLava, Jul 9, 2011
  7. DrDave

I don't think you quiete understand how it works. As water rises in the barrel, it overflows out through these holes. It has no place else to go but out to the pond. There are many holes to insure that water actually leaves through the 2" pipe.

DrDave, Jul 9, 2011
  8. DrDave

BennyLava

Do you have lids on your barrels?

BennyLava, Jul 10, 2011
  9. DrDave

I have a cover but not a lid. The cover is 4" above the top of the barrel to keep leaves out.

DrDave, Jul 10, 2011
  10. DrDave

BennyLava

Ah ok I get it now. For some reason I was thinking that it was still being "pumped" out through tubing. No the water gets pumped in, then it just sorta rises to the top and flows on out that pipe cause its the easiest escape route.

BennyLava, Jul 10, 2011
  11. DrDave

Now you have the picture.

DrDave, Jul 10, 2011
  12. DrDave

BennyLava

So do you think that a pump that flows 2200 GPH would be too fast for your bio filter?

BennyLava, Jul 13, 2011
  13. DrDave

That depends on the head? How high is it and what does the pump spec sheet tell you the flow will be at that height?

DrDave, Jul 14, 2011
  14. DrDave

JenH

I wish I would have found this forum before I started my pond!! Anyway..
    I mentioned in a newbie thread that I just finished building my little pond, well almost. I still have some landscaping to do and need more plants for the pond. Anyway, I modified the skippy biofilter to be smaller and to have a wide spillway instead of a spout. My pond is around 400 gallons, and judging from waterfall filters in the stores and the water garden specialty store in my area I assumed that I could get away with making it smaller. I just got things up and running and have green water. I posted a thread asking advice in the newbie forum, and got a lot of advice. Mostly more plants and patience (I have very little of both) Reading up about this Doc Filter though, I was wondering if using tubing or netting would be better in my filter. Here's a pic of my media. My pump is submerged in the pond, so nothing that large will ever be in the filter. I don't have any sort of drain on it because the skippy site implied that it really wasn't neccessary. I have the pictured media in my filter first cut to fit the container perfectly as one layer, then cut into small pieces on top of that, finally I cut another piece to fit perfectly on top, mainly to keep all the little pieces in there. They weren't flowing out, but I was afraid they may eventually. Should I switch to the tubing or netting?

Attached Files:

JenH, Jul 14, 2011
  15. DrDave

HQJohn

For a 1200gal pond is one 55gal drum will be enough for 15 fish? My pond water just can't get clear.

HQJohn, Jul 17, 2011
  16. DrDave

Yes it will, add some floating plants (I prefer water lettuce) and if you built the bio filter correctly and flow the right volume of water, it should clear up.

DrDave, Jul 17, 2011
  17. DrDave

HQJohn

got 55gal drum with fence, layer blue filter pad, and layer of foam pad on top.Foam pad i clean everyday and left the blue pad and fence alone.Water from the foam pad i clean was dark green everyday, pond is clearing out a little bit. Today i decided to take a peek under the blue pad and see if any bacteria or any thing build up on the fence. I had add microlift pl 2 weeks ago. When i lift the blue pad up brown stuff break up and flow everywhere and nothing had build up on the fence.What is the brown stuff, dead algae?

HQJohn, Jul 24, 2011
  18. DrDave

sissy sissy

I use quilt batting to pick up all the fine stuff and take it out every day to clean it off .

sissy, Jul 24, 2011
  19. DrDave

BennyLava

If my pond is 2200 gallons, how many 55 gallon barrel filters do I need? Just 2? If I recall, wasn't it one 55 gallon bio filter for every 1000 gallons of pond water?

BennyLava, Sep 4, 2011
  20. DrDave

LIKOI

Very helpful sticky. Currently in process of constructing my doc filter. Wondering what the general consensus was with regards to flow rate through a 55g drum doc filter is in order to purify the water as best as possible? I read somewhere 5 minutes per inch and elsewhere I've read 5 minutes to fill the entire 55g. I have a valve so I can control the flow rate. What do you find best for clearest water?

LIKOI, Sep 26, 2011
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question