sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Just type in search for you tube videos of filters for ponds and they have a lot of them to watch

Reaction score
If your filters don't have lids on them, how do you keep them from overflowing when rain water gets into them? Also, what is backflusing? Is is flusing our the crub from the bottom? I am also looking for some ways to hide my filters. My pond is in the field across from my living room picture window. If I use a Rubbermaid Tank I can bury it in dirt, but How do I hide the 55 gallon barrels? Do the barrels stant up to hard freezing, like we get here in Nebraska? I was going to go our and buy a Rubbermaid Tank, but after reading how a lot of them cracked I don't want to spend the $140. Money is an issue.
Can you make a Doc Filter using a Rubbermaid Tank? Could I drain it in the winter to keep it from freezing? This forum is so great.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
its the off brand stocktanks that crack...my rubbermade is buried as my waterfall basin filter and has held up great thru michigan winters, i drain mine for the winter. the flushing assembly goes on the bottom of the tank, 2" piping and a ballvalve. open the valve, and the fast draing weater creates a suction that draws the crud from the bottom iof the filter. thats where it collects by the design of the filter.i built and use bioth a stocktank and a 55 gal drum. both perform wonderful.

Reaction score
koiguy1969 said:
its the off brand stocktanks that crack...my rubbermade is buried as my waterfall basin filter and has held up great thru michigan winters, i drain mine for the winter. the flushing assembly goes on the bottom of the tank, 2" piping and a ballvalve. open the valve, and the fast draing weater creates a suction that draws the crud from the bottom iof the filter. thats where it collects by the design of the filter.i built and use bioth a stocktank and a 55 gal drum. both perform wonderful.

Thanks for the help. I am hoping to go purchase my RubberMaid Stock Tank this weekend and get a 55 gallon drum. Which do you think I should make first? The Skippy style filter or the doc filter?

koidaddy

karps house of koi
Reaction score
Here is my cracked RM stock tank. Lasted @3 years. Makes a great rock garden.

Attachments

• P6240030 (Custom).JPG
    P6240030 (Custom).JPG
    63.8 KB · Views: 441
  • P6240029 (Custom).JPG
    P6240029 (Custom).JPG
    25.3 KB · Views: 547
  • P6240027 (Custom).JPG
    P6240027 (Custom).JPG
    72.7 KB · Views: 476
  • P6240031 (Custom).JPG
    P6240031 (Custom).JPG
    46.7 KB · Views: 483

koidaddy

karps house of koi
Reaction score
granyhuskr said:
Thanks for the help. I am hoping to go purchase my RubberMaid Stock Tank this weekend and get a 55 gallon drum. Which do you think I should make first? The Skippy style filter or the doc filter?

granyhuskr said:
How would you set up a Skippy filter and a doc filter? Would you put the doc filter in place first and run it to the Skippy, or the other way around?

It depends. Are they both going to be bio filters? If so then I don't think you would get the benefit of bio buildup in the second since the first is pretty much using most of it up. I could be off there.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
i use a "skippy style" filter on my outdoor pond and a 55 gal filter on my basement pond. but if i was gonna use both in series the 55 gal would feed the stocktank filter due to its taller heighth. my koiguy filter builds are in the DIY section..they arent really skippys but the basic design. i just give credit where credits due!

Ask a Question