Sticky Doc Bio Filter

Reaction score
koiguy1969 said:
like i did here on my tetrapond filter conversion....notice the little grid in the elbow to stop any media from escaping. its a little piece of light grate and hardware fencing cut to fit and held in by a ring of pipe pressed in

That looks like thin pipe. What diameter is it, and what pump are you using? Id be worried about it flooding if just a few leaves get caught up on it.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
vertigo72 said:
No, my barrel sides are angled, tapered, whatever you call it. Its wider at the top than at the bottom. So my bulkhead is at an angle too, and the pipe I put in it as well. I can make it horizontal by cutting the 90 pipe so it becomes a.. ~100 degree angle so I pull water horizontally again. Thats hardly crucial, but especially for my first tank which acts as vortex, I like to skim only the water surface as high as possible.

Understand!

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
its 1&1/2" pipe. the filter is fed by a 425 gph pump ....I'm gonna post a build thread for people who have these filters to convert them....its already ran for 7 months with the original media...no over flows...wait till you see the conversion thread it will explain it all. i read that theres several people on this forum that have these filters

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
koiguy1969 said:
reread my last post...i added your answer while you were posting too!....but i didnt mention that the filter will be using cut up drinking sraws as part of its media content.

yea, I think I read to in one of the DYI sections some one had scrubbies getting sucked in and spit out in the pond, I'm hoping the Matala will stop that for me. But that is a option I can try as well if needed

Reaction score
koiguy1969 said:
its 1&1/2" pipe. the filter is fed by a 425 gph pump ...

Okay, i guess that ought to work. Still think the mesh is a bit dense, Im guessing you are using very small filtermedia, like K1 or something?

Anyway, just brought it up, since I am using 4.3 inch (110mm) pipes and elbows, with a rough grate to keep the media from escaping, and even that appears to be susceptible to flooding one day, as on the grate string algae grow and that helps trap leaves. I am running my filters outside, without cover though, and Im using a far larger pump. Thought Id mention it, as bigger is better IMO :lol:.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
Vertigo.. I used this setup on Basement pond and/or the 250gal baby pool pond for fry / fingerlings. I used the original bio spheres before. but this year i am thinking of fillng it with cut up drinking straws. thats the reason for the grid...they shouldnt ever make it to the outlet. but, just incase!! and i should mention i use a prefilter before the pump so no debris make it the filter.

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Why would there be leaves there anyway? I'm guessing no lid at all? I've seen several Youtube videos that show the filter uncovered. Is there a reason fro this. I always thought that the best bacteria grew where it was dark and well oxygenated.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
yes, i use the lid. and a prefilter so no real solids make it into the filter anyways. the little bit of gridding in the outlet elbow is there strictly on the off chance a couple of the 1/2" long drinking straw media pieces i am considering using this year somehow manage to wiggle their way up past the top foam and activated carbon pads, along with the top grate, on top of the media.
checkout the conversion build thread...
https://www.gardenpondforum.com/tetrapond-filter-conversion-t7890.html#post67721

Reaction score
fishin4cars said:
Why would there be leaves there anyway? I'm guessing no lid at all? I've seen several Youtube videos that show the filter uncovered. Is there a reason fro this. I always thought that the best bacteria grew where it was dark and well oxygenated.

Downside of open (or no) lid is leaves and stuff falling in, upside is that the sun shines on it, and that also helps, or so I read. Not sure if thats only because it heats the water (which definitely helps in the filter) or also because the sun does something else for those bacteria. Anyway, Im gonna put a net over mine, so I can keep at least leaves from falling in it. I have covers, but for some reason I think its not a good idea to use them.

Reaction score
That is exactly my plan to put water hyicanths on top...just wondering what is the minimum pond temp I can put my water hyacinth in without killing it?
Thank you

Ask a Question