Still-brown water /amonia and nitrite too high

Reaction score
Hello out there. I still have a BIG PROBLEM. - Brown water and amonia and nitrite too high.
I have an 1,100 gallon soft liner pond with six koi (two large, two small and two tiny). There are two pumps and two filters. The water is 72 degrees. The water pumps the 1100 gallons in about an hour and a half. There is a nylon bag of lava rock inside one of the filters to create "good bacteria".
The amonia and nitrite are too high (1.0) even after my every other day 1/3 water changes. It is always the same. Salt isn't helping. Baking soda isn't helping...what will? I stopped feeding the fish three days ago, but I wasn't feeding much before. Now what?

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
lava rock is not a first choice for bio media..that said.. is the filter full? whats in the other filter? have you added beneficial bacteria or just letting it build on its own? the frequent water changes may be killing the bacterial colony..are you dechlorinating the water? salt has little or no effect on ammonia content, nor does baking soda to my knowledge. as far as brown water its tannins. how big are your filters? i can say if you use a flocculant such as Terta ponds pond clarifier you will see a major change in water clarity in 3or 4 hours. it gathers the tiny particles free floating in the water and clumps them together so you can net or preferrably vacuum them up and your filter can catch them also...as a regular maintainence routine i stay away from chemicals but in your case.. i would do this!! and hang a laundry basket full of fibre fill (pillow stuffing) on your filters (output) return line to the pond, be it a waterfall or pipe, as the water pours thru it will trap alot if not most of your floating debris. if your waters that bad you may have to change the pillow stuffing often.

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
It took me some time to get the natural balance in my pond, but it took some basic undrestanding of the importance of a good balance of proper filtration, (boi-filter), water flow, fish, plants, and snails. The actual balance of nature in my pond came with some trial, and error. I seem to learn the hard way, but after spending time reading what's here at this forum, it all came together.

I don't use any chemicals in my pond anymore. I found that along with the correct filtration, and the right combination of pond plants, and fish, the PH, nitrates, and the rest will find it's own compatible balance for the fish and other life in the pond.

I still don't know everything there is to know about having a healthy pond, but I believe that everyone that has contributed there knowledge here at this froum has saved me more grief than one can imagine.

Thanks to all for sharing.

Reaction score
Thank you koiguy and oldmarine for your responses and your intelligence!!
I have been adding that natural bacteria and the declorinator as well. I also put a barley pad in there (it made no difference). I also use a pond clarifier. I will check out what "tannis" means. I will try the fiber fill and hang it on the out going filter.
I really think I'll hire someone to come and help get it going for a few months...I am freeking out that my koi are stressing.
Thanks again.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
its tannins.. not tannis.. and tyhats organic matter "staining" the water... barley pads are for alge and take 2 months to do much of anything... barley extract is much faster. try the tetrapond pond clarifier or ask at your local pond store for a "flocculant" i have used the tetrapond and had amazing results...but wouldnt make its use a regular thing... but in a crisis situation..you gotta do what you gotta do!!! you still didnt say what your using in the other filter...or if the filter with the lava rock is full or how full.

Reaction score
Well I will go buy the flocculant and tetrapond, and barley extract TODAY!!
Both filters have that fiberous (kind of like velcro) material inside. One of the filters also has that nylon bag with lava rock inside it. I have not disturbed the lava rock bag, but that fiberous material has was rinsed out the other day, because neither amonia or nitrite has changed at all even after the 1/3 water change.
Thank you so much again Koiguy. :)

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
never rinse filter media with the hose use a bucket of pond water.. the hose kills the bacteria and/or washes it off along with the crud. the tetrapond water clarifier has a flocculant in it. make sure your filters are full of media..dollar store scrubby pads (no soap plastic)perform well. your water changes should be about 10% not much more and every few days. and light or no feeding till you get this handled.
(flocculants are what clumps the particles together.)

Reaction score
Koiguy, THANK YOU. I will do everything you suggested. I will be excited when all your advise pays off. I will let you know..

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
check out the thread "New house with a pond" in the newbies forum see the set up for the pillow stuffing and laundry basket.

Reaction score
I called the owner of a koi pond store here in Sacramento, who is coming over to look at my pond, filters pumps, water color ect. today. The filters I currently have, were made by a plummer. They were not purchased from a pond or pool supply company. I am surprised at how costly it is to have a pond's eco system working correctly. Thank ou for asking. I will let you know koiguy. I am crossing my fingers.. :)

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
most of us made or make our own filters and other equipment , do what you think is best but plan on spending... dont let him sell you what you dont need!!

Reaction score
My friend made my filters and pumps. I think he did a good job, but it isn't enough to get rid of all the koi poop and amonia I guess. They were also inside of cinder blocks to keep them in place under the water, so I couldn't ever reach them myself. He also put a piece of sanded down wood on top of the cinder block so the koi wouldn't rub against the cinder block. I think that may have made the water brownish. I think it is best to have a professional filter and pump put in, because my koi are suffering. I am so stressed to have stressed fish because of an inapporpriate habitat.. I want them to be happy and healthy. With your understanding and being so experienced with this stuff, you could peobably make and sell pumps and filters!

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
the underwater filters are your problem alright show your freind the diy filters here on this forum and ask him to build one for you...myself and the 2 doctors,dave and case all have instruction threads on building, dollar for dollar the best bio filters you'll find!! 55gallon bio filters (drums) and 70gallon skippy (stocktank) easy to build, easy to maintain, and a whole lot cheaper than any comparable store bought.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
You need a filter were you can touch it with out going in the water..
Ponding is real simple when set up right

Ask a Question