Still feeling new to all this

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi! I just found this forum, so I can actually have someone to talk to about my pond. I have a small (400ish gal) prefab pond that was in my backyard when we moved into this house about 1.5 years ago. My first spring/summer, I cleaned the pump filters, bought some goldfish, and planted a lily pad plant. It was going pretty well, had some fish loss (I assume due to predators, since fish don't run away), my lily pads grew, until late summer I was getting a lot of algae. I used some algae reducer from the pet store and ended up killing all my fish :cry:. So I let the pond sit over the winter (running the pump) to try again this spring. My lily pad grew back (yay!), but I still had lots of algae. I tried planting some more water plants, but they didn't grow. I just took their containers our of the pond today...the soil was smelly, maybe because I used dirt from my compost pile that wasn't quite composted enough(?). I bought a dozen Japanese Trapdoor snails and they're having lots of babies, though I'm not sure how much difference they are making with the algae. I also just did my first water change, probably about 60-70% of the water. My pH is 9, which has me concerned, though I just read to try testing it early in the morning instead of middle of the afternoon like I've been doing. Ammonia and nitrites are both 0 and phosphates are 1. My questions are 1)when should I try fish again? and 2)what should I do to get more plants to grow? I do love my little pond...its so relaxing to go out and watch it!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our group!

I only use pure kitty litter clay, since I am never sure what is in the dirt around here. The lilies do fine in it. Most of the time after the lily has been in the dirt for awhile, it can stink. The last time it did not smell.

If your water tests are good and you ave not added any more stuff to the pond you could add fish again, imho

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Welcome but just don't buy koi and your best bet is fat fantails because they seem to never breed .I have 2 and never had babies from them and they have been in the pond since late 2004 .You can just weight them also and they can grow bare root but kitty litter like addy said .I buy the 10 lb bag in the dollar store .Algae is not always a bad thing if you remove some of it

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Yep colleen is right since she told me grasses I have been using them in my filters and my waterfall pond but you need to trim the roots often

Attachments

• 100_7243.JPG
    100_7243.JPG
    289.9 KB · Views: 194

Ask a Question