Still gets chilly on the porch

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Well this morning I found ice forming in my make shift winter fishy container on the back porch. Although the fish dont seem to mind...had to bring in my lily as it was by the back door and frozen over...darnit. The pond tarp seems to be holding up though but then again this is the first measurable snow we've had so far.

Attachments

• P1193178.JPG
    P1193178.JPG
    63.6 KB · Views: 319
  • P1193164.JPG
    P1193164.JPG
    48.4 KB · Views: 322
  • P1193167.JPG
    P1193167.JPG
    60.5 KB · Views: 254

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We are still waiting for our first measurable snow, they keep saying some minor stuff coming, but so far nothing.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
You could wrap them in some batt insulation to keep the temps up in them .Just take it and wrap it around them and tape it on .Insulation like that is not expensive and under them you could put some foam core insulation to keep the cold from coming up into them.I used the foam core all around the double wall of my pond.It was 60 here I just came in to rest ,I'm trying to landscape around the hydrants I installed

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
This is the first time I've seen any sort of ice try to form...usually the back porch is warm but have the ajoining back rooms door closed and we have a furnace duct in there...may have to just leave the back room's door open so it stays warmer on the really cold nights though I'ma thinking. I can't really bring them into the house because I fear our 3 cats would think "lunch"! Or put them into the heated back room...decisions, decisions...but it's suppose to warm up into the 40's and 50's again next week.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I did this my first year and it worked I got a rock and put it in boiling water and put it in the pond it worked great .I used a pond and put the rock in a strainer and then into the boiling water and then took it out to my pond and lowered the strainer into the pond with a string tied to it .This way it was not warming the water to fast .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Now there's an idea never thought of that...warming a rock. I did open up the back room so now heat is getting to the porch area so hopefully it wont freeze over like it tried last night to. They do have open water yet on top since the areator is pumpin away in the tub. And ya she has a real stud muffin alright...10 times her age lol

Ask a Question