still going strong

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
is that the goldies or koi ?? .... been a week since mine last did ... so im hoping they have stopped ... you must have loads of babbies by now i have hundreds of them im going to have to find new homes for some !!!

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
its been back and forth goldies.. koi.. goldies.. koi.. every couple days
no im not collecting any more eggs... i got acouple hundred from one batch and i have no idea what im gonna do with all them... plus ive seen more than just a few in the outdoor pond.

Reaction score
I've noticed that my goldfish have been spawning. A group of fish will be like white on rice to the female. I went to a Koi and Water garden show last weekend and they said I should get rid of all my goldfish as they will mate every 3 weeks in the summer and I will never be able to get rid of them if they reproduce. Is this true? Do your Koi and goldfish mate? They say this will create mule fish? Part goldfish part koi.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
well 90% or more will never even see maturity if you dont pull them out.. other fish will eat the eggs as fast as they pump em' out and continue to eat the fry untill they are big enough to be recognised as fish not larvae. if i had all the eggs put out this year i would have 100,000 easy i pulled a couple plants and i have hundreds and that was only 2 plants of one spawn out of 10 spawns at least. even my minnows are spawning just free food for the others.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Mine went at it twice last week ,,,I got enough fry to watch from the first few times around

Reaction score
I found 50 or so fry in my "skimmer". My skimmer is piped with a 3" pvc pipe into a 2 x 4 x 2 lined chamber, approximately 150 gallons. I did this so I could add additional fiter media if I wanted to, and I don't use my skimmer basket, but an attachment to the 3" pvc pipe. I don't have to clean the skimmer basket then.

I didn't see any in my settling chamber, but I'll have to check better tonight. Who knows how many are in the main pond.

One was pretty large already, probably an inch long and a second that was just a little smaller. They have some coloring, so hopefully I get some nice looking koi.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
we were at 80s & lower 90s untill sunday since then weve been in the upper 60s lower 70s.. did this start the cycle over again?...every fish in my pond is "asplishin' and asplashin" this morning!!!! they did stop to eat this morning and the activity is slowing down now..hope its done..dont need the mess!!

Ask a Question