STILL Green :(

Reaction score
Well its been 3 days since I started the over priced UV light - no difference. Its rated for a 1800 gall pond, 16 watts. I have approx. 500 gall per hour flowing over it. Its rated for 750 per hour.

My pond is 2200gall.

Feeling like I wasted the money. Any thoughts? Shouldn't I see SOME difference after 3 days?

I was doing lots of water changes though, until I found out that was a no no while trying to clear the water with a UV.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
It takes sometimes a couple of weeks to clear up .Water must flow through the uv slow enough for it to work

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have an 18 watt and it says 750 gph but I had it on a 370 gph pump .The other 2 uv's are 9 watts and I had that on a 250 gph pump .It took 3 weeks .Patience wins the race or in this case kills the green water

Reaction score
3 weeks! This is bad news! I will have my regular UV bulb in 3 weeks, which means I wasted my $$ on this smaller one.

Sorry for the whinge, just feeling quite sorry for myself and my green water.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
ebay sells uv' bulbs cheap I got mine from ccl pets and paid 5.33 for 2 of them

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Your near daily water changes over the past couple of week have slowed down the response, Priscilla.

When the clearing happens, it'll happen fairly quickly.

Have a drink. Take some pot shots at the iguanas.

Reaction score
Your near daily water changes over the past couple of week have slowed down the response, Priscilla.

When the clearing happens, it'll happen fairly quickly.

Have a drink. Take some pot shots at the iguanas.

I don't know that I can agree. Why would a water change, which would remove things lik ammonia, nitrate, phosphate etc that the algae feeds on, slow down the process? Adding clean water should speed up the process, assuming the new water is clean.

Reaction score
I don't know that I can agree. Why would a water change, which would remove things lik ammonia, nitrate, phosphate etc that the algae feeds on, slow down the process? Adding clean water should speed up the process, assuming the new water is clean.

Yes, that's what I thought too. That's why I was doing it. I figured let the green water, and let in clean clear water, less for the UV light to clear.

I don't understand all the water chemistry so ....... I'm just taking advice and seeing how it pans out.

I can't believe that I see no difference yet :( I figured Morewater is right and by adding more well water nutrients I messed it up. I've stopped the water changes.

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
My understanding was that there were several water changes made within a relatively short period of time, which in my opinion would upset any "balance" that the pond had.

I'm all for regular, partial water changes, but they shouldn't be done in rapid succession.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have not done a water change since rebuilding my pond and that was march of this year

Ask a Question