Stock filter container size suggestion

Reaction score
I just recently replaced my broken pump with a Beckett W5000 (5000 GPH @1')

The placement for the filter will be at about 6 to 7 ft head height so I would believe the
flow will be around the 3500 GPH mark. The size of the container I think I would need is a
150gal stock tank by Rubbermaid. I would come in with a 2in pipe in the bottom and exit at the top with a 4 in pipe.
Would the 150gal and piping be sufficient to handle to flow rate of the pump? Do I need to account for other variables?

Thanks,

Kurt

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It would help to know what the stock tank is to be used for.

He mentioned building a filter, the stock tank is to be his filter. Flow coming in from the bottom out from the top

The placement for the filter will be at about 6 to 7 ft head height so I would believe the
flow will be around the 3500 GPH mark. The size of the container I think I would need is a
150gal stock tank by Rubbermaid. I would come in with a 2in pipe in the bottom and exit at the top with a 4 in pipe.
Would the 150gal and piping be sufficient to handle to flow rate of the pump? Do I need to account for other variables?

Thanks,

Kurt

Reaction score
He mentioned building a filter, the stock tank is to be his filter.
Media is kind of important when considering flow, at least to me.

If this is a moving bed filter, bio ball, lava rock, veggie filter I'd guess 3500 gpm and 4" outflow would be fine. For sand and gravel filters it might be too much water, but really it just means you'd be wasting electric and channeling would be an issue if this is to be a sand filter.

Ask a Question