Stock tank as sand filter

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
Canada
Was wondering if anyone has used a 100 gallon stock tank as a sand and gravel filter instead of a barrel. Thinking of doing this at the top of my stream and float some plants in it. Should also be able to get a higher gpm rate because of the larger surface area but am concerned it the lower height would be a problem with the thinner media layers.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8A
Country
United States
Was wondering if anyone has used a 100 gallon stock tank as a sand and gravel filter instead of a barrel. Thinking of doing this at the top of my stream and float some plants in it. Should also be able to get a higher gpm rate because of the larger surface area but am concerned it the lower height would be a problem with the thinner media layers.
Are you building a bog or some sort of settling tank?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States

I have for a bog. the picture was close to completion point. I have more pics on the build. I did base it of "thepond diggers" patio bog.

20170720_145504.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
Canada
The stream is recurculated into a small pond with some cheap goldfish. Reason for the cheap fish is they get winter killed as my pond is to shallow. I do plan to build a larger set of pond but this will have to do for this year. Never thought of a bog, was just thinking of a sand filter to keep the lower pond clean. Might have to rethink and do a bog system . My setup now has no filter with a few plants in pots in a pond of about 75-100 gallons. The string algae is rampant and getting a lot of sediment that I would like to filter out.Have heard of good results with a barrel style sand filter that you flush clean with air and water. Was thinking of this setup with a stock tank instead.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I think Skippy type filters use stock tanks. My sand & gravel filter works very well....I used a 55 gallon barrel .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
Canada
I was thinking of a skippy filter but with sand gravel system. Not looking for a bio system much as there is minimal fish load. Do like the bog idea though, might go that route. If it does mot work can always convert it to sand and gravel. Might build it with the air system in as well, would not cost much.
Looking at the piping that Angel posted I could do something like that but instead of the valve on the outflow perforated pipe I would have a T. with the T open end up and a short pipe you can then have an overflow as well on the same outlet.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I added a blow out system to mine after it clogged to quickly. I will post pictures tomorrow if I have time.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
Canada
I am going with the Pea gravel bog system as in the above post. Have built the filter and is now running but does not have gravel in it yet, that will be tomorrows job.
I did add an air purge pipes below the gate holding the gravel in case I need to clean it.

Ask a Question