Stock Tank Filter Or Bog (gravel/plant) Filter?

What filter is better recommended for a 500 gallon pond?

• Stock tank

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Bog

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Other (And please post why)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Reaction score
Hello,

I am still contemplating the rebuild of the existing pond, the current pond is 200 gallons and the new one will be between 400-500 gallons. I think I want to include a bog in the new pond because I have read they really clear up the water very nicely and are minimal work, which is a definite plus. I am also curious if a stock tank (40 gallons or so) to be used as a filter would be a better option.

So, my current goal is to keep an open mind to explore all aspects of filtrarion before I rebuild the pond.

My hesitation to have a stock tank filter is it would be exterior to the pond and it will have plumbing that runs from the pond to the filter and back. My concern is leakage! I am not handy with plumbing chores. Could a stock tank be place in the pond itself? I could build the pond a bit wider to accomodate it. Or would having it in the pond cause other issues?

I see the bog filter as the best option. It is within the pond, any plumbing leaks would be within the pond liner. Minimal maintenance and the plants are an added bonus.

Is it really not that much of a difference and a matter of preference?

Thanks!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It somewhat depends on who you ask, some love bogs, some dislike them, some say they will fail, some like built filters, some dislike them, on and on.

I like my bog, it takes great care of my pond. It is about 1/4-1/3 the size of the pond, I have never done really good measurements. I do like the plants it grows

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
best of both worlds do like I do A bottom in my tank and lots of lava rock and plants floating in the tank and water coming in the top .I just put quilt batting in the top and it runs through the basket into the tank down to the bottom and back up the T connector and out the tank adapter .This goes in the tank and goes around the tank adapter
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:52696]

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
DIY is best. Actually I've been meaning to post a thread that most ponds will not need a bio-filter, just mechanical and a pump to move the water around.

Reaction score
I think you will find people like both, so the question is which works better for you. Either would need to be sized to your intents for the pond, and its fish load. 400-500 gallons is too small for koi, but fine for up to a half dozen goldfish ... A bog is traditionally a gravel filled area with plants. Do you LIKE playing with plants? If you are not the gardener type, you may not like a bog. I like having both on a pond. I like plants, but I also like knowing good bacterias have a specific home to thrive.

Ask a Question