Stock Tank Pond

Reaction score
300gal TANK.jpg
I'm looking to start my first indoor patio pond using a 300 gal stock tank (see pic) and was wondering if it would be ok to paint the inside say a light blue using the Krylon plastic coat paint so the fish could be more viewable.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
It's a waste of time painting it blue , our friend Lee used a blue liner on his pond now its the same colour as ours with green walls and bottomdu to algae, do you plan to burry your stock tank or leave it free standing surrounded with a wooden frame with insulation.
Our own is 1,000 gallons imperial with bottom drain and bubbler with the return pipe from the filters and UV-C set 2ft down:happy:
The do look awsome free standing :cool:.

Dave

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
southern states carry them but they are more expensive ,I have 300 gallon stock tank and it is better with the black or grey color as the fish look nicer .

Reaction score
southern states carry them but they are more expensive ,I have 300 gallon stock tank and it is better with the black or grey color as the fish look nicer .
Thanks for the advise. I just thought a light color would be better but have never done. I will take your advise

Reaction score
It's a waste of time painting it blue , our friend Lee used a blue liner on his pond now its the same colour as ours with green walls and bottomdu to algae, do you plan to burry your stock tank or leave it free standing surrounded with a wooden frame with insulation.
Our own is 1,000 gallons imperial with bottom drain and bubbler with the return pipe from the filters and UV-C set 2ft down:happy:
The do look awsome free standing :cool:.

Dave
I'm going to keep it above ground and build a seating bench around it for on the patio

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I just posted this in your Koiphen thread as well but here is a tub that may better fit your needs. As I notied on the other site, this is probably still too small for more than a couple Koi.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/american-farmlandreg;-round-tank-8-x-2-ft-plastic#
and i have decided not to paint and will post pics when done thank you for the advise and the link. I loved it
One problem with that size tank diesilplower my friend (y) is that for koi if Jeff suffers bad winters where he is he'll need 4ft in depth minimum with 5ft maximum .
Our own is 7ft diameter x 4.5 ft in depth x 22ft circumference , Jeff your best bet would be to add a 4" bottom drain which would then connect to your to your filter's.
With koi you would need nore than one filter, our own has four but you would probably get away with making two barrel filters then add an inline pump connecting to a UV-C as it returns to the pond.
We put the return about 2ft down the tank , and have an over flow pipe with a ball valve should we need to drain a bit of water off the top of the water acting a bit like a rudimentary skimmer .
Again if you suffer bad winters you would have to think about inulation and cladding , we used decking attached to a hexagonal frame for this and 22mm polystyrene sheets wrapped around the pond secured by silver sided bubble wrap and duct tape, we also boxed the filters in and clad the walls with 22mm polystyrene sheets using policarbanate roofing sheets for the cover.
Hope this helps Jeff :happy:

Dave

Dave

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
my 300 gallon stock tank has one filter with a uv that i only turn on once in awhile and has 1 shubbie in it and 2 goldfish and is crystal clear .If you put the 2 inch thick foam insulation around it and under it that will help .Doubling it up helps .I have one made up that i just put around it in the winter .My temps do not get that cold .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
my koi after 10 years are over 2 ft long and remember fish have babies lots of babies

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Jeff
I would stick to just a few goldfish as koi will get wayyyyyyyyyyy too big fast for that size tank. Even goldfish will get big but not as fast and by then you will be digging another pond cuz once you start this pond habit you are hooked and you keep going bigger and bigger til you die

Reaction score
Country
United States
Jeff
I would stick to just a few goldfish as koi will get wayyyyyyyyyyy too big fast for that size tank. Even goldfish will get big but not as fast and by then you will be digging another pond cuz once you start this pond habit you are hooked and you keep going bigger and bigger til you die

j.w, you are hysterical! I especially love the "you are hooked and you keep going bigger and bigger til you die" :D

Ask a Question