Stocking options for a california pond

Reaction score
I live in the bay area in California. I plan on building a pond in my backyard (probably around 600 gal). Besides the popular goldfish and mosquito eaters, what other animals can I put in the pond (fish, inverts, amphibians, etc)? I can't find a lot of information on the subject. Websites either talk about goldfish and mosquito minnows or they're referring to large ponds and talk about bass and pike type fish.

Thanks

Reaction score
Oh, hey, we're practically neighbors! I'm converting my swimming pool. I just went and got some feeder Goldfish for a dollar to make sure the water is survivable. I have some mosquito fish which I'm keeping inside in a container pond until it warms up a bit. Maybe when I get further along I'll try some Koi. Also want to try some White Cloud Mountain Minnows, which should be able to tolerate our climate as well. Thinking I might go down to Los Gatos Creek and see if I can find some frogs. I love the sound of croaking frogs :razz:.

Ask a Question