Stocking question

Reaction score
I have an inground oval pond that is 9ft long and 7ft wide. At the deepest point the pond is roughly around 2.5ft and the average depth is bout 1-1.5ft. I plugged these numbers into an online pond size converter and was told the pond was roughly 575 gallons. I know ths isn't much in pondkeeping but will I be able to keep adult koi in it? If so how many?

Also I plan to install a relatively large filtration unit with a 3x turnover rate per hour that eventually leads to a waterfall. With this in mind can anyone answer my previous questions?

Thanks

Reaction score
sounds lovely! Our local pond store (Wet Pet's in Arroyo Grande California) has HUGE koi (about 3 1/2 feet long) in seemingly small ponds but he has MASSIVE filtration systems that keeps the ponds sparkling. So my assumption is that thee is a bit of a give and take when it comes to this subject if you don't have the space you can make up for it with filtration. And vice a versa. I have a different problem where my pond is 60 gal and I will be needing to expand in the next year or so lol.

Reaction score
O Ok see sounds good. So if I purchased 6 fingerlings (koi that is) and they grew out to about a couple feet. Could I hope to keep 4? with adequate filtration that is. I guess I would cull out the less attractive koi and sell them. Will a pet store accept a 1 foot fish for a trade in?

Finnally could i keep a water lily by use of a basket? And would I have any hope of breeding these fish in a pond this size?

I know its alot of questions but I pride myself in being well informed before purchasing a live animal. Thanks

Reaction score
Anyone know what's the growth rate of koi is?
Doe it depend on the size of the habitat like the goldfish?
On the same note how big goldfish cn get in a medium size pond?

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
goldies max out at 10 to 12", koi can hit 3'+, their first 2 to 3 years being the faster of their growth rates. the debate goes on about the enviroment controlling their size limits but i beleive it does impede or slow their growth, somewhat. 1/2" a month is average for the first couple years according to many articles. i can only say for sure my 3 to 4" koi i got last may are 10 to 14" now

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
For good growth in koi you need about 4 things. Good water quality, good food. Lots of O2 and room to grow. Also deeper pond seem to grow bigger fish.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
froger09 said:
Anyone know what's the growth rate of koi is?
Doe it depend on the size of the habitat like the goldfish?
On the same note how big goldfish cn get in a medium size pond?

I have Koi in ponds and in tanks. The 2 year old pond koi are 12" and the tank Koi are 6-8". Pond fish get other nutrients that you cannot provide in a tank.

Ask a Question