Stone Dangerous To Fish

Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):
Years ago we had what we thought was a thriving group of 42 koi, goldies and fantails. Suddenly, a nasty appearing infection spread like wildfire throughout our beloved swimming pets. After consulting professional experts we had to euthanize all of our fish. The most probable cause of the contagious infestion was caused by fish scraping themselves on the sharp edge man made light weight gray stone manufactured using ground repurposed ground lava stone. These gary stones cause paper cut like injuries that become easily infected. Not being any sort of authority on fish I can only pass along what I was told. Knowing first hand these stones cause scraps and cuts we never replaced those fish. While very realistic, I sincerely advise others not to use these decorative stones in a stocked ponds.

The man made light weight gray stones were sold for a limited time by Lowes. I do no know if they are any longer available from any source. IMAGE SIX showing these stones is located at following web page: https://www.gardenpondforum.com/topic/10387-cypress-point-pond-desoto-texas/

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thanks for the heads up! Sorry you lost all your fish.
I keep no stone in my pond, just my preference.

waynefrcan

19 years ponding and hopefully 4 more!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Sound more like an overcrowding & water quality issue. 42 large koi and goldfish in 2300 gals is overcrowding.

Reaction score
Ive seen similar rocks in other ponds. The ones Ive seen are very rough, like most "masonary" products. I am doubtful the rocks caused the "illness" but opened the door to other issues present. While not ideal, fish can get scrapes from any number of things. We only have rocks in our pond as part of holding the liner in place. We were careful not to use any with a rough texture or points, and even with that said, still have a dummy that manages to get a minor scrape here or there. I suspect like Wayne wrote above that there may have been water quality issues, or even another bacteria present, that would have been harmless if the fish were not stressed from the injury.

In June, we took in some fish that had been severely neglected (to say the least). Severe ammonia burns, puss like crap coming out of a couple of their gills... they were moved twice in two days (first by the rescue person, then by us) and substained some minor scrapes/scale loss in the process. We ended up with ulcer disease as a secondary. A few minor bumps and bruises should not have been an issue for a HEALTHY fish, but these guys were so stressed, it opened the door to something else.

No matter how we look at it, I am really sorry that you lost all of your fish. That is awful! BUT do think it is awsome that you would take the time to point out an issue you had in the past to save someone else that heartache.

waynefrcan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
The reason I say overcrowding could be the issue, is that like you in my novice years it happened to me. When I brought the tribe indoors for the winter to the 250 gal tub from 2500 gal pond. By following spring they developed ulcer type sores all over. I investigated and found that they in fact had the equivalent of human flesh eating disease due to overcrowding. Found a super knowledgeable fellow that recommended a certain chemical bath for them. I saved them and then again the following year same thing. This time most could not take the 2nd treatment and died. it didn't help that I netted them and we moved houses etc. This was many years ago and can't remember the disease name or treatment. Now I winter the fish.

Reaction score
Unless the fish were all small, or a lot of filtration, 42 fish in 2300 gallons, if you were correct on the size, sounds like a lot to me. We have about 40 koi (evenly sized from 7-22") and about 15 comets/shubunkins in abit under 9000 gallons... so was trying to picture most of our fish in 2000 gallons or so.

When we took in those fish that broked with ulcers, I was ready to kill them all, thinking it was koi pox! Had a few days of frantic research, and was so grateful we had them in QT.

I really feel awful for Big Lou, but through sharing his experience, may save someone else from going down the same path.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
They have those here and call them feather stones and it is like picking up a bunch of razor blades .I have 3 of them in my landscaping a neighbor gave me and now I know why after lots of times scraping my legs against them while trimming the yard .They are light weight and I actually had one I drilled a hole in and use it to put a hose through to spit water back into my pond .But seems everytime I had to work on the pond I would scrape myself on it so moved it to a landscaped area of my yard .

Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):
They have those here and call them feather stones and it is like picking up a bunch of razor blades .I have 3 of them in my landscaping a neighbor gave me and now I know why after lots of times scraping my legs against them while trimming the yard .They are light weight and I actually had one I drilled a hole in and use it to put a hose through to spit water back into my pond .But seems everytime I had to work on the pond I would scrape myself on it so moved it to a landscaped area of my yard .

That's the one. Must use leather gloves to protect your hands. When cut by one in a pond use alcohol to prevent infection.

waynefrcan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I haven't seen them up here. Anyone with a photo closeup?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
It looks like a grey rock but very rough really can't tell much by a pic .

Ask a Question