Stone Pond Issues...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
IMG_1916.JPG IMG_1973.JPG IMG_0980.JPG
IMG_0967.JPG
Afternoon All,

After scouring the web for some help I have come across this forum and from reading the articles you seem a friendly and knowledgable bunch.

So, what's the problem. A garden a year in the making is where I am. It's a self built well say self in the early days I had a landscaper who clearer missed some obvious points.

Where I'm at is the pond is built. Way it works overflow feeds the pump, which pumps to a mini well, then down a stream of sorts and then over a waterfall back to the pond. Pump is a pomdexpert 15000 and filter next to the well is fish mate 30000 uv and bio.

Filled the pond and guess what I had leaks. Emptied and applied multiple layers of pond paint. And still leaks. Last resort was to retro fit a liner as what was clear was that a linear hadnt been used even though I'd bought one.

Linear now in and a face the problem of sticking it to the stone without knocking rocks off and rebuilding or chiizzing out a valley and cements / sealing. Keen not to empty the pond again it's some 14,000 ish. And on a water meter.

Pond is dual skin stone with concrete membrane. But seems waterproof fibres also have not been used... really at a loss and could do with some advise.

The stream and well doesn't hold water but in fairness I'm hoping with the flow rate that this won't matter.

Any thoughts... oh pictures included also shows the progress

Attachments

• IMG_0988.JPG
    IMG_0988.JPG
    287.1 KB · Views: 237
  • IMG_0991.JPG
    IMG_0991.JPG
    302.7 KB · Views: 296
  • IMG_0995.JPG
    IMG_0995.JPG
    286.7 KB · Views: 229
  • IMG_1015.JPG
    IMG_1015.JPG
    213.5 KB · Views: 204
  • IMG_1037.JPG
    IMG_1037.JPG
    201.9 KB · Views: 235
  • IMG_1044.JPG
    IMG_1044.JPG
    220.3 KB · Views: 245
  • IMG_1112.JPG
    IMG_1112.JPG
    204.2 KB · Views: 209
  • IMG_1113.JPG
    IMG_1113.JPG
    200.4 KB · Views: 309
  • IMG_1824.JPG
    IMG_1824.JPG
    281.8 KB · Views: 229
  • IMG_1827.JPG
    IMG_1827.JPG
    272.3 KB · Views: 283

ZEROPILOT

Faster than you are.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a-10b
Country
United States
How about hiring a pool refinishing company to apply a coat of Marcite (spelling?)
Once and done.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Love how you took advantage of the hill at least now it is useful and looks like your son is learning and loving it

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
During the original installation were the interior rock walls sealed?
Thanks Meyer,
In terms of what was done the walls are double skin stone with standard cement and the membrane between is concrete. Turns of no waterproof fibres or sealants were used.

I have since used 3 layers of pond paint to try seal with no joy.

Worry is that the only route right now is the liner which is in situe with the Underlay but it's how to retro stick this to the wall and ensure the top is locked in place.

Alternate I suppose is to strip back a few layers of rock and fit liner correctly.

Frustrated as I was hoping for the full pond stone to be exposed...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Love how you took advantage of the hill at least now it is useful and looks like your son is learning and loving it

Yeah was a must to do and managed to layer the garden too, just need to get this leak under control.

Son has loved helping and getting involved. Anything manual he enjoys

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Top does not need anchored .Mine is just layed over the block wall .Just add a cap block to the top or over lay a piece of wood
pond walls 020.JPG
pond walls 026.JPG
pond walls 023.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
UGL Is sold at home depot or lowes it's for water proofing basement's specifically made for sealing concrete they do have some colors but water proofing stone and mortar you have a challenge on your hands. someone also posted a pond built on a post I have in the introductions where I posted a planning stages it was a spray on rubber that would clearly seal up your hard work. EDPM would clearly work but I would think a channel would have to be cut into the stone work or applied with a finishing termination strip/ not my first choice but again it will solve your problem. I should add the video also showed a clear spray on rubber I'm sure not cheap buttttt

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
If you bought a liner, have it to your contractor to use, and they didn’t, you need to go talk to them. They failed to do the job right. Only fair they should fix it.

Ask a Question