Stones on the bottom?

Reaction score
Hello all, I am upsizing and totally re-doing my pond :). The local pond shops here in Indiana have recommended putting stone in the bottom of my new pond (10x10x2.5), and everyone that I know leaves the bottom bare. Which do you prefer/recommend? As always thanks for your input and happy spring ponding!

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
where stones on the botttom look nice they tend to allow fecal matter and dead vegetation to setle between and under them, so your pumps and filters abilty to remove is hampered. so most here will reccommend NO ROCKS on the bottom. but if you dont mind keeping the fish numbers low and having to give the pond a good cleaning with the rocks out every year or two.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Very glad you decided no stones.......you will be happy you left it clear when cleaning time comes around for sure
WashingFish1.gif

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Just the simple things like netting leaves off the bottom of the pond
Rocks would make it a problem
Good decision

Reaction score
Dr Case, do you have a truck that comes up to Indiana? The reason I ask is that there is a truck that comes up from Arkansas with a bunch for fish.

Reaction score
NO! NO! NO! No stones, sand, gravel of any kind on the botom of the pond. It makes cleaning a nightmare. Just leave your liner bare, and it will soon get a thin coating of algae that the fish will feed on. Save yourself a heap of headache and just keep stones on the outside and aroung your pond. Not inside.

Ask a Question