store bought or homemade filters

do you use store bought or homemade filtration

• Total voters

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
who uses store bought filters? rate its performance(1-10)
is it pressurized?
who made their own filter and rate its performance (1-10)
did you switch from a store bought? are you glad you did? is it skippy style (upflow) or gravity fed (downflow)?
would you go back to a store bought?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry, this thread got stuck in a moderation queue, I've approved it now and it should appear in the forums :)

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
thank you.. i guess we dont really need the second post.. the questions are in the first, any chance it can be removed? i thought they would show in the same post

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
that would be true .. but we all know everyone is using some kind of filtration, just wondering why they wont let us know what. with over 2000 members and over 400 visits to this poll, only 32 people have voted. but so far it shows that us handy people build our own filtration and would prefer to stay with it over buying over priced less efficient "for the money" store boughts.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
On the new pond to be.
Store bought performance 10
5 gravity
1 pressure

cuesport

Pool Shark
Reaction score
I have 2 ponds and built a Skippy filter for each. They work remarkably well. I read that the water would turn green at first and after 4-6 weeks would clear up. My first pond has been running for 2 months, my second pond has been running for about a month. Both are crystal clear. We had a torrential rain storm 3 days ago and my large pond was so bad, you couldn't see the Koi. After 2 days, it was back to crystal clear.
I highly recomend the "Skippy"!

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
everyone that has one does...OH!....that includes the "Doc" filters also!! and those who use storebought would too if they had one..
I see theres still only 43 voters on the poll.....2000 members and only 43 have filters i guess...

Reaction score
Right now I have homemade skimmer/filter thingy's that work okay. In my small pond (250 gl) they keep it crystal clear with 3 turtles and 3 big goldfish. In the larger pond it barely works but still I was able to get 5 baby koi so I guess it was good enough to keep the fish alive. I will be building a skippy filter next week (hopefully) and will see if that works better!

Ask a Question