Storing water lily pollen

Joshaeus

Water hawthorn, Aponogeton Distachyos
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Hi everyone! I just put a Nymphaea pubescens water lily outside in my heated water garden. From my research, I discovered that this species has 56 chromosomes...as does N. mexicana, which is hardy to zone 5. I am willing to bet that those species could hybiridize successfully to produce a nightblooming hardy or semi hardy lily...IF the issue of differing blooming time could be resolved. Is there any way to store pollen for a few hours between when one flower closes and the other opens? I believe pubescens flowers (which would likely be the pollen parent) close around 9-10 am, while mexicana flowers open around 11 am. Thanks :)

Joshaeus

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Can you elaborate a little? Do I wipe the stamens with a moist q-tip and then put it in the fridge until the hardy flower (or other pod parent) opens?

IPA

Reaction score
63b Chesapeake-Pamlico Lowlands and Tidal Marshes
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Plants can manually be pollinated with a dry cotton swap. I’ve done it for corn and other vegetables but also really don’t know what I’m doing; it’s the bull in a China shop method. Google hand pollination. If you are just storing the pollen on the cotton swabs for a few hours keep them protected from rubbing the pollen off and dry.

Joshaeus

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Plants can manually be pollinated with a dry cotton swap. I’ve done it for corn and other vegetables but also really don’t know what I’m doing; it’s the bull in a China shop method. Google hand pollination. If you are just storing the pollen on the cotton swabs for a few hours keep them protected from rubbing the pollen off and dry.
Thanks! Didn't think it would be that easy :)

Ask a Question