Storing Your Pump For The Winter

Reaction score
INSTRUCTIONS FOR STORAGE
This document explains the instructions and important precautions for the storage of submersible pump(s) that will be out of use for an extended period of time.
INSTRUCTIONS
1. Flush the pump with clean water.
1. Select cool, dry, and dust-free place for the storage of the equipment. An alternative would be to store the pump in a bucket of clean water in an area that will not freeze. Store the pump in a place free from vibration. If storing the pump dry, make sure to drain the pump completely, tilting the pump slightly to drain, and blowing any water out with pressurized air, then wipe the pump dry.
2. Protect the end of the power cord with tape or a vinyl cover to prevent oxidation.
3. Once a month, rotate the impeller by a hand, and stop it at an angle which is different from the angle that was in the original position. This will prevent the mechanical seal faces from fusing together and possibly cracking upon startup if the oil breaks down on the faces. This will allow the bearings to stay lubricated as well.
4. When putting your pump back into service after a long storage:
-Spin the pump impeller by hand (see above, item 3)
-Check to confirm that the motor insulation resistance is more than 20MΩ.
-Change the lubricating oil (Turbine oil VG32, 10-20W non-detergent oil or vegetable oil will work), making sure there is no water in the oil (a new mechanical seal may be required if there is).
-Check the integrity of the pump power cord for cracks, nicks, broken tabs. Replace as needed.
-Refer the instruction manual of your pump for any other details.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
What I cant understand here is why should you wish to turn off your pump in the winter months ponds still need to be filtered 24/7 365 days a year here in the UK we reduce the output of pumps where necessary

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Why bother? Leave them in.
Is that a question to us morewater if so formalist koi ponds have external inline pumps integral to the running of the pond be it winter or sumner being formalist we have no oxygentaing plants so the filters and pump need to be still going .

Dave

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
If the pond is deep enough, I leave pumps in the pond for the winter. 3' is good, IMO.

If it's an in-line pump, it's assumed that it's either weatherproof or protected from moisture.

I simply don't see the point in pulling a submersible pump out of a pond to put it in a bucket of water in the basement. The only time I pull a pump is to check the impeller or to clear the intake screen. Maybe I'm just a lazy bugger...........

Ask a Question