strang oily patches on top of water after water change

Reaction score
i have noticed that in the past couple weeks that everytime i add water to the holding tank an oily residue seems to rise to the surface and im just wondering what it is, it almost seems semi ridgid because it does break apart but when i splash the water it stays in one peice and floats on the surface, the patches vary in size from an inch and a half to less than a quarter inch...this never happens any othertime and only when ido water changes.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Track it down, When you do a water change, is it from the hose your using? Do you pump water in when changing water? Try stiring the water slightly at the bottom make sure it's not coming for settling. If you can see the liner and bottom that is not the issue. I only worry about that if the muck is 3 inches deep or more in older ponds. Try adding water to a bucket and see if it's coming from your water supply. If it's a oily film it doesn't belong, need to find it and stop it, ASAP!

Reaction score
the fish are still in the holding tank sadly until mid may, and i actually dont use a hose, i use a clean 4 gallon plastic bucket and fill it up with clean tap water from inside the house and then go and empty it slowly into the holding tank, i dont really do water changes i actually just add in more water everytime, but sometimes i do change the water too lol, and i think that it could be coming from the sides or bottom of the pond but its still weird

Reaction score
i don't have my fish outside yet, so it can't be anything like that and its not from the food because i don't see any oily residue after i feed them

Ask a Question