Strange happenings by the pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Something weird is happening by our pond , it started a few days ago now when I went out to feed our koi.
I noticed a piece of gravel not used by me in either the front or back garden or any neighbouring gardens near by , it was sitting on the net dead centre of the pond .
I went out the next day another piece of gravel , this time at its edge , today an old friend came round with Martyn our decorator who I've also known for many years .
After talking for a few hours whilst Martyn continued decorating Kevin asked if it was ok to step out for a breath of fresh air , so I suggested going out to feed the koi and bugger me if there wasnt yet another piece of gravel at the edge of the pond .
I admit it I'm stumped just what on earth is happening who or what is doing it ?.
Tracking back on the ponds CCTV camera there has been no other human apart from myself and today Kevin who have been anywhere near the pond .
Does anyone have any suggestions as to just what is happening here , my thoughts its perhaps a bird of some sorts but as to why I dont know we dont have any UK birds that use stones as a tool ?

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Both crows and magpies have been known to carry stones around and leave them in strange places. Not to say that your pond is strange, Dave! ;)
John
Interestingly John we do have magpies hanging about on our roof , they've been there for much of the summer months but we thought they were trying to raid the huge growth of Ivy weve left in place for smaller birds to nest in hoping to snatch some chicks.
We'd better take a much closer look at the CCTV to see if we can spy them out

Dave

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
BTW, Dave, don't leave rings, coins, or other shiny objects in view with the window open. You may find these items exchanged for stones, or even acorns. I kept magpies as pets when I was a kid. They are fascinating creatures!
John

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
BTW, Dave, don't leave rings, coins, or other shiny objects in view with the window open. You may find these items exchanged for stones, or even acorns. I kept magpies as pets when I was a kid. They are fascinating creatures!
John
Very intelligent birds!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Put some things out for them to take while your camera is running. Would be neat to see them in action :geek:

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
John . Maggie I read somewhere that with training they are able to speak ?

Dave
They ARE able to mimic some sounds. One of mine learned his name, 'Jacob', pronounced 'Ya-kob', but their repertoire is rather limited.
John

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I didn't have time to post it before, but [and this is interesting], Magpies are the only bird that is "self aware." They've done studies with them and other birds. When a Magpie looks at its image in a mirror, it knows that it's looking at itself, and not just "another bird." What they did was put some harmless yellow paint on the Magpies. When the birds saw their image, they knew they were looking at themselves and would start picking at [preening?] the paint on ITSELF, not on the mirror image. I'll try to find that article.

http://www.birdminds.com/EuropeanMagpie.php

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Wonder what the attraction to shiny things is all about? I mean what are they doing w/ this stuff they collect?

So here is another side to the story I found.

Do Magpies Really Covet Diamonds?
A new study confirms what experts have believed for a long time—there’s no evidence magpies adore shiny things.

By Emma Bryce
Published: 08/20/2014
Magpies have long been maligned as egg-snatchers, territorial bullies, and harbingers of death. But most commonly, these canny corvids are accused in European folklore of compulsively stealing shiny objects like diamond rings to line their nests. Now new research debunks this idea, to the relief of ornithologists who are weary of the popular myth.

To test whether the birds have any real attraction to sparkly things, academics from the Centre for Research in Animal Behaviour at the University of Exeter in the United Kingdom presented both wild and captive magpies with piles of nuts. The nuts were next to two heaps of temptation: one of matte, blue-painted objects, and the other of shiny items including squares of foil, metal screws, and foil rings.

"The study was designed to investigate their reactions to shiny objects, specifically, as the folklore in the [United Kingdom] is that they are unconditionally attracted," says Toni Shephard, an urban ecologist at the University of Exeter, and lead author on the study. The researchers included the pile of blue objects to test whether this seeming attraction to gleaming things might simply equate to a love of anything new.

But they found the opposite was true. "The wild birds were wary of all the objects, regardless of shape, or color, or shininess," Shephard says. The researchers particularly noticed that the magpies ate more warily in the vicinity of the foreign objects. The researchers put this down to 'neophobia': the fear of new things. The captive birds were less concerned, but were still completely indifferent to the pile of shiny treasures.

"The study's real focus seems to be on how magpies respond to novel objects," says Tim Birkhead, a professor of zoology at the University of Sheffield in the United Kingdom. Birkhead was not involved in the study, and has authored a book about magpies. Far from being compulsive snatchers of new and shiny things, the study suggests that there are "more complex cognitive processes underlying their behavior, not simply instinct," Shephard explains.

This is in tune with what researchers do know about magpies. The birds have "fantastic cognition, like all members of the crow family; they're inquisitive, and very capable of learning," Birkhead says. "That probably fuels this myth because corvids are renowned for being clever."

But what triggered the idea? It's hard to trace it back to its origins, but it was most likely perpetuated in popular culture by events like Giaochino Rossini's opera in the 1800s, titled 'The Thieving Magpie', which sees a young woman mistakenly imprisoned for a magpie's silver thievery.

In the present day, this myth persists anecdotally, probably because magpies make popular pets. "They're incredibly inquisitive and they play with everything," Birkhead says. "If your magpie picks up a pen you don't bat an eyelid. But if it picks up your wedding ring, you take note."

Anecdotes abound, but, says Birkhead, "there's no evidence for it."

So the next time you're labeled a 'magpie' for your love of bling, just reply that you're happy to be compared to such a clever bird.

Note: The Eurasian Magpie (Pica pica) and the American Black-billed Magpie (Pica hudsonia) once believed to be the same, are in fact separate species. The study observed Eurasian magpies.

Author Profile
Emma Bryce

Read more
Comments
We had many crow babies we
Submitted by christiana (not verified) on Fri, 2014/08/22 - 12:36pm.
We had many crow babies we raised to adulthood and they were free, but hung around to 'play'/tease us and take part in our activities. They often brought back their young year after year to show them off to us. Magpies are the Western version of Eastern crows. I've lived with them too. Our crows were interested in anything-very curious-not just shiny objects. They would even fly in a window to take anything that interested them, then sit up in a tree and try to figure out what the object was, and could it be useful to them. Studies have been done on their intelligence, and use of tools to fit their needs. I agree with the above study. Our crows became "wild" and brought their 'friends" around as well, all showed the same curiosity and intelligence, though not all were unafraid of us. They alsoknew the difference between our family and other people they did not approach-face recognition has also been proven in studies. They are very social and share food, have funerals, and protect not only their own family, but all others of their species. Would that humans lived so respectfully and care-fully.

I'm skeptical of their
Submitted by Ricky (not verified) on Thu, 2014/08/21 - 9:15am.
I'm skeptical of their skepticalness. They were using captive birds that would likely behave differently than wild ones. Also, they used foil instead of truly precious jewelery. The Magpie thing IS probably a myth but I'm not sold that this study proves it!

As children we had a pet
Submitted by Lorna Stone (not verified) on Thu, 2014/08/21 - 7:43am.
As children we had a pet crow. It used to steal. How do we know? Because we found his hiding spot in a fence post,

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
As a follow-up to J.W's post......this was many years ago and my memory has faded since then, but......

We were on our yearly ski trip, this particular year in Breckenridge, CO. Our condo had a window or balcony that over-looked a snowy bank and tree-line where there wasn't much activity -- maybe an occasional kid would use the area to sled. Now, this only happened one time that we observed, and believe me, we watched every day! There was a group [a murder] of about 1/2 dozen crows congregating in the area, in plain sight of our window [5th or 6th floor up]. At first we thought they were scavenging food thrown out for them, but as we watched, we realized the silly birds were sliding down a section of the bank of snow! It was very deliberate! I can't recall if they flew or crow-hopped back to the top [the distance was maybe 10-20 feet]. But from the top, they took turns sliding down! This lasted for about 10-15 minutes, then they scattered and flew off. It was like watching a Disney movie! At the time we didn't have a camera that took videos -- DARN!

Ask a Question