strange things

Reaction score
scratchchin.gif
I have a strange thing going on at the garden pond, Fish are disappearing and others have peaces gone from there tails. I have looked for turtles never seen one. I have 4 dogs and a large cat, coons? herons, No signs of them. The pond is only 15 feet from my back door. Could they be eating each other? I have never found parts or dead fish. Any input? The pond on the left is the one with the problem the other two are untouched.:grumble:

Attachments

• DSCF0033.jpg
    DSCF0033.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 356
Reaction score
Does the pond on the left have steep sides? If it does you can probably eliminate raccoons. The ponds do not look covered enough by the tree to prevent herons or other large birds from swooping down, so that is my vote.
You can set a Havahart trap to see if you catch a Raccoon. Bold raccoons won't have any problem with coming close to the house and if your dogs and cat are either tied up or inside, they won't care about them either.

Reaction score
:grumble: Ok the motion camera is out. Things only go missing at night. Dont know of any birds that hunt at night. The tree is a 110 year old elm it hangs out over the pond high up. The cat is out side but hes kind of a laid back kind cat. The dogs are inside at night. So the motion camera is ready as well as the pistol. No have a heart for things that eat my KOI. I by by for the little buggers. Time will tell.: pissedoff:

Reaction score
Night hunters point to possums and raccoons. I have not had bird problems, so I know little about that, but maybe owls hunt at night. Here is what I suggest:
1) If your sides are not steep and there is room for the predators to wade, put in a koi cave in a deep section. You can either purchase them over the net or build one with planters, milk crates, etc. Basically, just create a shelter for the fish to hide in when spooked.
2) Bait a Havahart trap and relocate the buggers some place far, far away.
3) Install an electric fence around the pond.
4) Keep the dogs out at night.

Reaction score
:grumble: Owls do not eat fish they are rodent eaters only. I am thinking coon. There is a shelf It will be removed ASAP the fish have lots of hidie holes as well, only the 4" or smaller are missing. One 12" has a peace missing from its tail. No relocate for this critter. The dogs are small and spoiled. Maybe the camera will give us a look see.:eek2:

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Go to or go online with Harbor Freight and get the Infra Red spotlamp that is solar re-charged. Aim the lamp and sensor in the direction of the critters most likely place.

Here, I have a rifle with scope and my MBR window is inline with the point of entry for the coons. I don't mind a small hole in my screen to get the critter. The screen is easy to replace for a few dollars.

Reaction score
:grumble: Ok as of yesterday the shelf is gone. Took me all day. Netted out the fish, pumped out the water relocated the pots. Started digging OMG . About killed me off. Gotter done though. Now lets see the coons and cats reach my little friends. Oh ya the trap is also set each night until I catch the bugger. Stay tuned!
compute.gif

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Wow! That is an impressive amount of work for one day. Just remember, if you catch something alive, it is not going to like you when you retrieve the cage.:protest: or maybe:fechten2:

Reaction score
OK Update 2 large tom cat so far. Trapped right next to the pond. I hate wild cats. Why cant people spay and neuter outside cats?????????????

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Were you able to shoot them between the eyes? If that is what is getting your fish then go for it.

I am a cat lover but I am also a believer in spay, neuter and mine come in before dark every night. My cats sit by the pond and guard the fish.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
i,m more like ,i haven,t seen the tom cats,any more:icon_mrgreen:

Ask a Question