Strangling in Algae

Reaction score
Country
United States
greetings ! I have a large Pond that is Rain fed , approx. 15,000 gals. I have many Goldfish that Winter over and have new babies every year, a snapping turtle or two that unfortunately keep it muddy looking, not sure, and crawfish. Up until a couple Years ago it was problem free . Now I get Algae every Summer. There are days when it covers the whole surface, but most of the time due to winds it will settle across half of the Pond. Can anyone tell me what would be good to treat it with that is natural? I thought of throwing in some Anacharis that I have growing in my indoor Aquarium. I don't have any filtration system in the Pond and because of its size it would be impossible to install now. Any tips would be appreciated .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Ah! Ignore my questions on the other thread! You have what sounds like a natural pond with a dirt bottom, correct?

In a pond that large, you shouldn't have a concern with too many fish (which is a common cause of algae in a smaller garden pond) or overfeeding (if you even feed your fish at all). My guess - and this is just a guess - is you may be experiencing run-off from the surrounding areas that contain nutrients (maybe animal waste?) or fertilizers that are feeding the algae. Could that be the case?

Some photos would definitely help!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our group! I use plants to control algae in my ponds.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
upload_2018-6-15_5-44-19.gif
@Annee

Ask a Question