Strangling in Algae

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Annee, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Annee

Annee

greetings ! I have a large Pond that is Rain fed , approx. 15,000 gals. I have many Goldfish that Winter over and have new babies every year, a snapping turtle or two that unfortunately keep it muddy looking, not sure, and crawfish. Up until a couple Years ago it was problem free . Now I get Algae every Summer. There are days when it covers the whole surface, but most of the time due to winds it will settle across half of the Pond. Can anyone tell me what would be good to treat it with that is natural? I thought of throwing in some Anacharis that I have growing in my indoor Aquarium. I don't have any filtration system in the Pond and because of its size it would be impossible to install now. Any tips would be appreciated .

Annee, Jun 13, 2018
    bagsmom likes this.
    1. Advertisements

2. Annee

Lisak1

Ah! Ignore my questions on the other thread! You have what sounds like a natural pond with a dirt bottom, correct?

In a pond that large, you shouldn't have a concern with too many fish (which is a common cause of algae in a smaller garden pond) or overfeeding (if you even feed your fish at all). My guess - and this is just a guess - is you may be experiencing run-off from the surrounding areas that contain nutrients (maybe animal waste?) or fertilizers that are feeding the algae. Could that be the case?

Some photos would definitely help!

Lisak1, Jun 13, 2018
    bagsmom, Mmathis and ShawnInfirmity like this.
    1. Advertisements

3. Annee

Becky Administrator

Just wanted to say welcome to the forum (y)

Becky, Jun 14, 2018
  4. Annee

addy1 water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins Moderator

Welcome to our group! I use plants to control algae in my ponds.

addy1, Jun 15, 2018
  5. Annee

j.w I Love my Goldies

j.w, Jun 15, 2018
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question