Stream contruction

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Hi all. Need to pick experts brains. I already have a 5500 gallon pond. My property has a gentle sloop to the main pond so now I'm thinking of putting in a smaller upper pond with a stream. I'm going to end the stream near the pond but end it in a pondless water feature because I don't want to compromise the lining of the existing pond by trying to put in another skimmer and pump. I had a professional guy come out and look at it. he said I would have to put in another skimmer and pump in the main pond to power the stream. Anyway the length of pipe I will have from the pump to the upper falls will be 45 ft. I'm guessing the amount of head between the higher level and lower level is 4-5 ft. The upper pond will be 6X6 ft- 2 ft deep so by my calculations about 500 gal. The falls spillway will be 18-20" and I want a fairly good flow of water from the spillway. What size pump should I get? I'm wanting to go with 10000 GPH but I'm afraid that will be too powerful. Any suggestions? Thanks

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
You can get a submersible pump and route the pipe under the falls from the stream to the pond with out messing around with a new skimmer or cutting the liner.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
only thing is would heavy rains going down the stream to the pondless may undermine the other pond liner

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have a stream, fed by a separate pump on a timer. The pump pulls from the big pond, sends it up the hill around 100 feet of head pressure.

You could add the upper pond and a stream with a liner draping down into the lower pond. My pump is around 1600 gph, don't recall exactly. Mine is external, you could use a submersible with the piping going up and out of the pond without cutting the liner, just hide the line. This will help keep the upper pond fresh.

Have the submersible in a bucket or crate with filter padding.

Just mho!

Reaction score
My stream is 45 feet long and goes into the pond along the way it has 5 small water falls. I use only one pump. The lining can be draped over the existing pond and glued down.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
If you desire to have the stream to terminate into a reservoir, then the size of the pump (gph) must be compatible with the volume of the stream terminus or vice-versa.

Reaction score
If you desire to have the stream to terminate into a reservoir, then the size of the pump (gph) must be compatible with the volume of the stream terminus or vice-versa.
He wants to go with a 10,000 gph but is afraid the flow would be too strong. In my situation I simply regulate the flow with a valve.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
He wants to go with a 10,000 gph but is afraid the flow would be too strong. In my situation I simply regulate the flow with a valve.

!0,000 gph would be a bit much for only a 18" - 20" weir. However, this could be widened and the stream constructed to accommodate most any flow rate. Having a sufficient size reservoir, as mentioned earlier, is the critical issue.

Ask a Question