stream slope advice please!!

Reaction score
Questions: 1) how deep. or how high should the walls be? 2)degree of slope from falls to pond?

My husband is afraid of the stream overflowing because of pump power and not enough slope.

Specs when finished: surface area of oval pond 10lx8wx3d, 1600 gallons, falls box is 16' straight away from pump.

Pump is a Leader 410 with 2040gph.

The falls box is close to house foundation and there is a 5 degree slope away from house to the yard where the pond is. So I'm figuring there is very little head height (but what do I know)!

The stream is 14' and straight with 2 mini falls and a wide mouth entry to pond.

Sorry only pic I have handy and the whole liner is sitting in stream! I don't know if there is a rule of thumb for degree of slope or not. I don't mind tinkering with the steam even after the hook up. But my engineer hubby wants it done right the first time!!!

Attachments

• IMG_1044.JPG
    IMG_1044.JPG
    267.6 KB · Views: 353
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
My stream is 19ft long with a 4800gph pump and 1800gph pump coming into it also. My stream is very shallow as you can see in the picture is has about 8" to 12" ( I forgot the exact measurement now) of drop over the 19ft. I have 2 pieces of liner going to the main pond an they are not seemed just overlapped. My stream starts at about 22" and exit at about 6'. I just dug pockets so the water collects so the stream would get wider and wider. I used pond foam at my exit stones so the water would go over not under the stones. If your exit is lager then your starting point then you have no worries about it backing up. My water levels vary from 1 1/2" to 4" deep which still works for many plants, creeping jenny, watercress, water parsley etc. I do run my pond during some of the winter also so ice does develop with issues of over flowing, but once it gets to cold I shut it down for the fish.

IMG_2012.JPG

IMG_2016.JPG

This is with only the 4800 gal pump, I since added another 1800gph pump to it
IMG_2114.JPG

The stream going towards the pond. We wanted it shallow to get that ripple effect over the rocks
IMG_3248.JPG

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Well, what I did, my slope is around 25 degrees, even hard to walk up it. I have mine doing switch backs and some straight down runs. I dug the stream bed about 10-12 inches deep, around 1-2 feet wide. My biggest issue was the down slope side on the stream, I had to build it up and dig down the upside slope. I also added a bunch of small water collection areas in the stream, for frogs, plants etc.

Your 5 degrees should flow just fine. My stream in arizona was less than 5 degrees, 40 feet long, straight run and it did fine.

Like your stream ^^

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
The water will run down even with a small degree of slope - you're essentially pushing it with your pump. And as RobAmy mentioned if your outlet is bigger than your inlet you'll be safe from overflow.

Reaction score
My stream is 19ft long with a 4800gph pump and 1800gph pump coming into it also. My stream is very shallow as you can see in the picture is has about 8" to 12" ( I forgot the exact measurement now) of drop over the 19ft. I have 2 pieces of liner going to the main pond an they are not seemed just overlapped. My stream starts at about 22" and exit at about 6'. I just dug pockets so the water collects so the stream would get wider and wider. I used pond foam at my exit stones so the water would go over not under the stones. If your exit is lager then your starting point then you have no worries about it backing up. My water levels vary from 1 1/2" to 4" deep which still works for many plants, creeping jenny, watercress, water parsley etc. I do run my pond during some of the winter also so ice does develop with issues of over flowing, but once it gets to cold I shut it down for the fish.

View attachment 70418

View attachment 70419
This is with only the 4800 gal pump, I since added another 1800gph pump to it
View attachment 70420
The stream going towards the pond. We wanted it shallow to get that ripple effect over the rocks
View attachment 70421

Thanks so much, this is exactly the effect I want. I didn't think to make small pockets of deeper spots and I will do so! I did want a bird safe area in the stream and I think I will put a 12" slate lip to extend from the falls box and that will make a nice bird and frog area as well.

Love your pond! Have you clocked your hours spent out there? I recently talked to a young girl at petsmart who said she grew up with ponds and loved them. Wish I would have done this when my boys where a few years younger!

Reaction score
Well, what I did, my slope is around 25 degrees, even hard to walk up it. I have mine doing switch backs and some straight down runs. I dug the stream bed about 10-12 inches deep, around 1-2 feet wide. My biggest issue was the down slope side on the stream, I had to build it up and dig down the upside slope. I also added a bunch of small water collection areas in the stream, for frogs, plants etc.

Your 5 degrees should flow just fine. My stream in arizona was less than 5 degrees, 40 feet long, straight run and it did fine.

Like your stream ^^

Thank you. I thought I was going to be o.k. and I will certainly to a few test runs before calling it done! I like the idea of adding deeper sections and will revise this weekend!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Consider also how you want your water to come off your stream into your pond - cascade? Trickle? Sheet? That last edge is critical to achieving the look - and sound - you desire. Remember that in order of water to "fall" it needs to build up behind an edge before it comes over the top.

Reaction score
Consider also how you want your water to come off your stream into your pond - cascade? Trickle? Sheet? That last edge is critical to achieving the look - and sound - you desire. Remember that in order of water to "fall" it needs to build up behind an edge before it comes over the top.

Oh thanks for that advice! That didn't cross my mind so I will note it in my journal. I'm going to the ripples just over the rocks for most of the stream and it will get deeper at the mouth

Ask a Question